question

moodypat avatar image
moodypat asked

Higher than expected voltage output on 12/12-30 DC/DC charger while engine is running

My Victron 30 amp DC-DC charger is showing 15.2 volts output while the engine is running (input voltage is 14.2 volts). This is higher than expected. This charger's input is the house batteries and both the house and starter batteries are connected to a Victron FET to get charged while engine is running. When the engine is not running, the output voltage is typically in the high 13's. Is this ok to have 15.2 volts going into the battery and if not what action do I need to take. Thank you, Pat

orion dc-dc
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
What is the input voltage on the Orion when the engine is running?

Is this a smart alternator?

0 Likes 0 ·
moodypat avatar image moodypat kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
The input voltage is 14.2 (from the house batteries) while running. The alternator system is the BALMAR set to AGM to match batteries I am using.
0 Likes 0 ·
moodypat avatar image moodypat commented ·
additional information: I have the absorption voltage set at 14.3 and float voltage set at 13.3 per AGM manufacturer guidance for my temperature situation. I do not understand why the output voltage would exceed these settings for the given charge state.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ moodypat commented ·
Sorry, another question. Do you have a common ground/earth connection through starter battery, house battery and Orion?

A screen shot of the battery settings in the Orion would help a lot. And how are you measuring the voltages?

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers

Related Resources