question

rocksteadee avatar image
rocksteadee asked

Charge current Multiplus Compact 12/1600/70

I have the above Multiplus. Rated at 70A but only ever gets to 42A with discharged batteries, during bulk charge. (BM 712)

I opted for the 70 as this is the max rating for the pair of Exide 142 Ah.

Manual states 75% of max but this would be 52A.

24h discharge is around 110 Ah and not getting replaced on just running the generator for 2 hours

I don’t want to go down the route of a PC interface at £80 for just one use.

is this normal? And is it adjustable by DIP switches?

battery chargingcharge current limit
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
@Rocksteadee moved to normal Q&A
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

One problem with the compact is that there is no remote voltage sensing. So one thing possibly restricting the peak charge current could be volt drop in the inverter battery leads.

Also, you will not maintain the full charge current for 2 hours to fully recharge lead acid batteries - they require several hours at the absorption voltage in order to get from 80% to 100% SOC. During this time, the generator is running on a progressively lighter load. Missing this will cause the batteries to sulphate, but is not good for a diesel generator (No problem with a petrol generator).

You can use the dip switches to do a fine adjustment of the Absorption and float voltages, but this is far better done with the PC interface and the Victron connect platform.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual