question

kristoffer-ueland avatar image
kristoffer-ueland asked

Charge batteries only

For the time being I have a generator with a «bad» sinoid curve. Until recently I only used the generator to charge my 12V batterybank. From the batterybank I had an inverter to make 230V for my offgrid cabin. I have now thrown out the separate battery charger and inverter in favor of a Multiplus 12/1600/70-16.

My question is, when I run the generator I want it to only charge the batteries and not let the «bad» power into my 230V system. Is it possible, and how do I do it?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerbattery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Kristoffer Ueland,

It's not possible, the design of the Multi is to connect the AC input to the AC output, and the same transformer is used to convert to or from the battery.

cleanshot-2022-07-16-at-153524.jpg

A seperate charger, or a seperate inverter will be needed to do what you want.

You can use a change over switch for the AC loads depending how you want it controlled to make the best use of the available power for the generator, or the loads.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

The Multi will pass incoming power through to the output if the grid is connected. You need to purchase a separate charger and inverter or buy two Multis and connect one as a charger (AC input but no AC output) and the other as the inverter (no AC input but use the AC output).

2 |3000

kristoffer-ueland avatar image
kristoffer-ueland answered ·

WOW! Thanks alot for very fast replys! I think I wil get myself another charger for now. But in the future I am going to invest in a inverter generator with a true sinod curve.

2 comments
2 |3000

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

I have now thrown out the separate battery charger

Why? If still works, you could keep using it to charge the battery from the generator.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
There's another, messy option. If you can do without AC while the generator runs, just turn off the AC output while you charge the batteries.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual