puntasso asked

DC-Coupled Feed-in: Multiplus II is limiting PV power

Hello,

The system is:

- Multiplus II 48V 5000VA 70/50

- 2 x US3000C Pylontech.

- Cerbo GX.

- 5.2kW PV in DC-coupled with:

- 4 x SmartSolar MPPT 150/45 (2 with 4 pannels and 2 with 2 pannels)

The problem/issue:

- All is working fine, but when battery is charged the max power feeded to grid from PV is 3600W so there is wasted energy from PV. It seems like inverter is trying to keep production at 74Ah (DCL from CAN BMS).

My question:

- Is the Multiplus limiting the max power to feed grid at DCL parameter from CAN BMS although the energy is coming from PV field and not from battery? What can I do to feed grid with all the PV field power?

Thanks.

Edit:

- All MPPT are working together and controled by Cerbo GX by BMS (DVCC enabled). Charge Voltage (42.8v) and Charge Current (45A each) are setted at maximum by Cerbo, so the MPPT are no limiting, is limiting the Multiplus Inverter.

Multiplus-IIPylontechfeed-in limit
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Guessing you've already checked but there's not a grid feed in limit set in ESS is there?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

puntasso avatar image puntasso commented ·

Yes, of course. No grid feed-in limit, and I tried setting the limit to 5500W and no change.

0 Likes 0 ·
puntasso avatar image
puntasso answered ·

Today I tried to charge the battery at 12:30PM:

- PV is at 84% total installed power (T=40C). Working perfect.

- Battery is charging (Initial SOC 42%). So "bulk state"?

- ESS Mode: Optimized without battery life.

In this situation I set "grid setpoint" to 3700W and the inveter is feeding grid at a rate of 87A DC (Dc/Vebus/Current), so it seems like when battery is in "bulk stage" the inverter is no limiting at DCL (74A).

So, maybe the inverter cuts the max power to grid and loads at DCL when the battery is in "absortion stage"?

captura.png

captura.png (62.4 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

puntasso avatar image puntasso commented ·

And now, when battery is chraged (more than 99% SOC).

captura2.png

It takes a few minutes and voltage on Multiplus increase to 52.7V from 52.4V, and current consumption from inverter to feed grid is mantained at +-74A (same as DCL). So all PV power is not used because the inverter itself is limiting the DC to AC feeding at DCL, though it is not draining from battery.

0 Likes 0 ·
captura2.png (54.0 KiB)
smart-home avatar image
smart-home answered ·

I’ve also been looking for a solution to this issue!

The last thing I tried which I think has fixed it is as follows:

Connect to your MPPT charger using Victron Connect via bluetooth and check settings.

I found the voltage levels were set lower than recommended in the Victron/BYD document (see section 6.1 in screenshot). Therefore I believe the charger itself was throttling back when the battery was full due to the higher voltage.

My battery is a BYD, but maybe Victron have recommended settings for your battery too.

138d86ef-ceb4-4514-89c5-d506077a59bd.png

2 |3000