question

ambra avatar image
ambra asked

24V Lithium Settings and Mid Voltage error

I have 2x 200Ah /24V Lithium batteries in parallel on a sailing vessel, a Smart BMV-712 and a 400wpeak solar system connected via the SmartSolar MPPT controller. All systems are from Victron.

Could you please confirm the right BMV settings?

Attached is a pic of my current settings. I have read that the correct settings for the charged voltage for a 24V Lithium battery should be 0,3v below absorption voltage. The absorption voltage on these batteries is 28,4V correct? Should I set the charged voltage to 28,1V?

I receive mid voltage errors as well. Is that related to the charged voltage?afec1193-b078-46ce-bd29-c873f1d2565c.png

BMV Battery MonitorLithium Batterysmart solar set-up help
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

The absorption voltage on these batteries is 28,4V correct?

Should be OK as a general value. Check how close in voltage are the cells when the battery is full. Depending on this, you might want to make some small changes to the Absorption voltage value.

I have read that the correct settings for the charged voltage for a 24V Lithium battery should be 0,3v below absorption voltage

Experiment with different values in that range (but always lower than the Absorption voltage set in the charger; so 0.1V or 0.2V or 0.3V lower than Absorption voltage set in the charger). Also with the detection time and the tail current values. All these 3 settings control when the displayed SOC "jumps" to 100%. But the displayed SOC can get to 100% just based on the energy measured to enter the battery over time.

There is not a perfect setting for all situations, so you have to choose the best compromise.

I receive mid voltage errors as well. Is that related to the charged voltage?

Do you have the auxiliary wire connected?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic