question

dancing-skeptic avatar image
dancing-skeptic asked

Advanced settings - SmartSolar MPPT with VRM

I must be missing something...

I can not seem to find any way to update advanced charging parameters for my SmartSolar 250/100. Specifically I want to set the voltage and timing for the absorption and float modes.

My setup:

1 Quattro 48/5000/70
1 SmartSolar MPPT 250/100
2 homemade 280ah 48v batteries
1 raspberry pi 4 running venus OS

When I open the SmartSolar charger in the remote console the state shows "External Control" and there is no way to change any settings. In the vrm portal, I see the charger in the device list but there is no way to change settings. In VE Configure3 I can see Charger settings, but I think those are for the Quattro onboard charger (when it has generator power). If I use Victron Connect to bluetooth to the SmartSolar charger, I can see the settings when expert mode is enabled, but it still shows "External Control" as the mode.

What "External" device is managing that config? How to I set the parameters and enable viewingof which mode the charger is in?

Below you can see screenshots of each of the applications.

remoteconsole.jpg

vconfigure.jpgvrmdashboard.jpg

MPPT ControllersMultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerVRM
remoteconsole.jpg (59.8 KiB)
vconfigure.jpg (57.7 KiB)
vrmdashboard.jpg (69.7 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

It is not intended to adjust the settings of any component from VenusOS.
VE.Configure is for the Quattro settings only.
VictronConnect is the correct tool for adjusting the settings of the MPPT.
If you have ESS or DVCC set up, then the MPPT will be under "External Control". This means that the MPPT is following the charging parameters from an external component rather than the setting in it's self. In most circumstances it is following the charge parameters of the Quattro.
Set up the MPPT and the Quattro to have the same absorb and float Voltages so that if there is no external control for some reason then those target Voltages will be under the control of the MPPT as a fallback.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dancing-skeptic avatar image dancing-skeptic commented ·

Thank you for the reply.

I figured that the "External Control" meant that the configuration was coming from the Quattro. Are you saying that the solar charger is matched to the Quattro's charging parameters? In the VE Configure image in my original post, I see those settings, but I'm thinking they are for the Quatto's internal charger (when there is incoming 110v). In the image below you can see that the batteries are full; they are oscillating between "idle", "discharging" and "charging". At this point shouldn't the MPPT charger be putting out 54V? I am unable to see what mode the charger is in. It only shows "Ext. Control" and the Quattro shows "inverting". full-batteries.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
full-batteries.jpg (82.9 KiB)
seb71 avatar image seb71 dancing-skeptic commented ·

You did not say if you are using ESS.

If yes, then this is how it works - the MPPT chargers are controlled by the inverter and GX device (but still it's a good idea to configure the MPPT battery charging with the same voltages as those set in the inverter).

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·
1 comment
2 |3000

dancing-skeptic avatar image dancing-skeptic commented ·

Thank you for the reply.

That video does not address the issue I'm having. In the image below, you can see that there is no indication of what mode the charger is in. screenshot-20220711-143556.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
brianwilsonrt avatar image
brianwilsonrt answered ·

There aren't any connections that bypass the shunt, everything goes through the monitor.

wordle 2

2 |3000