question

sweyn avatar image
sweyn asked

Cerbo GX Wi-Fi connection problem

I’m trying to connect my Cerbo GX to my Marina Wi-Fi, but it doesn’t give me the option to input a password.

It says it has connected, but since it has never given me the option to input a password, I know it really has not, and I get no functionality.

Anybody found a solution?

It works fine through my phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot, but that is useless when I’m away from the boa and actually want to connect!.

cerbo gxwifi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Public wifi will want to open an authentication page in a browser to log you in. This will not work with a cerbo as it is designed for mobile phones and laptops.

If the marina does not have a normal 2.4Ghz network authenticated with WPA type security, then it will not work.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sweyn avatar image sweyn commented ·
I feared that might be the case. Thanks.
0 Likes 0 ·
Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

Hello @Sweyn , I'm not sure of the exact configuration but I wonder do you have an external dongle to improve signal strength of the marina Wifi? Perhaps it can connect to the local hot spot because you are close but maybe it struggles to get enough signal for the marina wifi. Perhaps at one stage it was close to the marina wifi so it knows the wifi SSID but cannot connect now. I know that does not make sense with what you described but perhaps the wifi dongle may improve the situation. Worth a try I would think and quite inexpensive.

Regards,

Trevor

2 |3000

trabbic avatar image
trabbic answered ·

You'll likely have to setup a router in between your marina Wi-Fi and the Cerbo via ethernet if you want, or wirelessly (and any other devices you want to have internet).

A GLiNet router will connect to public Wi-Fi and provide that connection to multiple devices without having to log in on each device. It's powered by usb, so you can run it on battery power if you want. It's a popular device with the RV crowd, and priced between 40 and 150 bucks depending on what you need. I use one on my boat, and it has the various marina's I visit saved and automatically reconnects to them.

2 |3000

Related Resources