question

shredderf16 avatar image
shredderf16 asked

Chrome Book with Victron Connect

Hi,

I have an off grid vacation house. I'd like to monitor the system using victron connect. So I bought a Samsung Chromebook to leave in the house and control remotely. I put the Victron Connect app on the Chrome book but it drops the connection at about 80% and never asks for the PIN. Has anyone been able to run Victron Connect on a Chromebook? On another post the tech said that the OS is different enough from Android on phones that it will not work. Assuming my plan will not work, is there a way to monitor and control my Victron devices remotely? I have internet and wifi at the house.

Thanks,

Jerry Barth

VictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

I think GX device or Venus OS on a raspberry Pi would be the best solution.

What devices do you have?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

shredderf16 avatar image
shredderf16 answered ·

Matthias,

Thanks, I bought the Chromebook based on my tech son's opinion. We are familiar with raspberry pi. I'll let him know. I guess the Chromebook goes to the wife!

Thanks,

Jerry

2 |3000

mhotz001 avatar image
mhotz001 answered ·

I see this thread is over a year old, so I am sorry if this is considered thread hi-jacking, but I have to chime in. I have multiple victron smartshunts and powersupplies, and I want to be able to manage them from my chromebook and my windows laptop via bluetooth. Not through the usb route (which works but not nicely), but through bluetooth. Here's my question - when will victronconnect be ported to chrome and windows for bluetooth connectivity the same way it is currently on android devices? Thanks. All constructive responses welcome, especially from victron. (1st post, so I hope I followed protocols and apologies if I didn't)

2 |3000

bradleyh avatar image
bradleyh answered ·

Victron Connect is available for Windows. https://www.victronenergy.com/support-and-downloads/software I'm typing on a Chromebook now, but never thought to use it with the Android version of Victron Connect. Most Android apps that need hardware access to things like bluetooth or the NIC don't really work on Chromebooks.

2 |3000

Anders avatar image
Anders answered ·

Yeah - I now old thread but still valid ;-)

Victron Connect now works on my Chromebook.

Signing in and get access to the VRM account is a challenge - The app use the browser to log in. You get redirected to the browser, log in, and this should tell the App that you have got access.

On my Chromebook, this does not work for Chrome Browser or Bing, but it does work for Firefox.
1713937768360.pngI did get this message in Bing, but the App didn't catch it!

Learning - Use Firefox

1713937768360.png (49.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources