question

w8dev avatar image
w8dev asked

VRM not updating in realtime

Anyone else experiencing the VRM portal not updating in realtime? The "last updated" states that it's realtime, and I know my solar production voltage and amperage isn't continuous. I've restarted my raspberry pi which sends data to the VRM and that didn't make any difference. When I look at the browser inspector, there seems to be quite a few errors showing up.
- No dbusServiceType property set on subscription object

- You have included the Google Maps JavaScript API multiple times on this page. This may cause unexpected errors.

- dashboard:1 Uncaught (in promise)

- TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'hasOwnProperty')

Just wonder if anyone else is experiencing the same issue.

If I look at the remote console on my local network, it's updating in realtime.

Thanks,

Adam

VRM
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mio23 avatar image mio23 commented ·

Enable two-way ;-)

0 Likes 0 ·
11 Answers
baxter avatar image
baxter answered ·

Same issue here, since yesterday in the afternoon realtime update is not longer working

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/142997/vrm-portal-realtime-dashboard-not-longer-working.html

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

w8dev avatar image
w8dev answered ·

After timing the updates, with the browser left open, the data only seems to update every 60 secs or so.

2 |3000

tmar13 avatar image
tmar13 answered ·

Hello

I think, it depends on server charge. it's never the same delay : sometimes, it works very well with update every second in the VRM portal.

I made a php program to interrogate the server and the data is updated every 15mn.

Thierry

2 |3000

tmar13 avatar image
tmar13 answered ·

I found : there is a parameter in your Cerbo GX configuration :

Parameters ->VRM Portal->interval between records

2 |3000

aldo avatar image
aldo answered ·

I have seen several posts on this topic but have not found the solution.

I recently replaced my Venux GX because it was giving me reading problems.

Now everything works fine but the online VRM is not updated in real time as before

I also tried updating the firmware to 2.9 but nothing changes.

2 |3000

usernamepasswordbs avatar image
usernamepasswordbs answered ·

Same here. I have been through settings a dozen times in fact more than that, firmware is latest 2.92, rebooted many many times, bought the nano usb dongle to improve wifi, but no improvement no matter what I have done. I am starting to become disappointed with Victron products due to connection problems. Bluetooth, wifi you name it, it's non-stop connection issues or lack of live data.

My dashboard says it updated a minute ago or whatever but the figures haven't changed since yesterday. Sometimes if I restart it will work better but not necessarily and I can't just restart every 2 minutes.

I'm really surprised that in this day and age we can't get a simple reliable connection for high quality equipment when any old cheapo wifi device off ebay generally works fine.

13 comments
2 |3000

usernamepasswordbs avatar image usernamepasswordbs commented ·
Sorry but more moans about connection and live data but this is a bizarre one; the VRM dashboard on my laptop gets stuck on a page from two days ago. I can restart everything and it will show meaningful data for a minute then jumps back to this fixed view from 2 days ago when I was using 7kw. It will say at the top that it was updated 1 minute ago or 2 minutes ago but it is not true. Anyone know what is wrong?
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ usernamepasswordbs commented ·
Hi @usernamepasswordbs

Rest assured VRM doesn't store page views to torment you with at random. Might be time to flush out your lappy caches etc. What you want to see is the Realtime symbol on Dashboard, which may take a minute to arrive, but will show the truth. Also look to your Lan/Wan comms for something amiss. May even be like a dicky modem, clumsy addressing, etc. The issue is at your end. Even one of your ebay devices? :)

Try also typing "venus.local/app/" into a browser. This should bring up the Victron Marine MFD app, which is a condensed sort of version of Dashboard, but locally generated. If you can't get that up it's your networking comms at fault.

1 Like 1 ·
usernamepasswordbs avatar image usernamepasswordbs JohnC ♦ commented ·
Thanks for the reply but there are no problems like this on anything else on my network. I obviously get connection problems on other things like anyone else from time to time but nothing quite like this. On searching there are lots of people suffering similar problems of non-updating data which some have put down to bugs in the firmware but I am running the latest version. I'm not sure if other people have exactly the same as me but I am 100% sure that what I am seeing is a throwback to two days ago as the 7kw power usage is not something that occurs all the time. The page rarely if ever says 'realtime' anymore, it did during the first day or two, now only 'updated X minutes ago'. It can count up to 5 minutes or so and then drop down to 1 minute but the figures stay the same. I will try the marine app and let you know.

My comment about ebay devices was just an attempt to illustrate that lots of cheap wifi equipment works absolutely fine so why can't this expensive stuff work at least as well? And of course you can buy Victron products on ebay as well.

There is one no-brand ebay device connected to this system and that is a usb extension cable to bring the victron nano usb out into the open to give it a clear 'view' of the router. Could this cause a 2-day-old view to get stuck and even reload over current live data?
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ usernamepasswordbs commented ·

Just went in to VRM. Was showing last updated 3 minutes ago. Took about 10seconds to switch to real time, I have a terrible connection here as well.

I've not had the switch problems, and I use VRM a lot for support purposes in the community as well as monitoring my system.

So what's different I wonder.

0 Likes 0 ·
usernamepasswordbs avatar image usernamepasswordbs kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
I just went into VRM and found it's back to 6777 watts again (i.e. the two-day-old throwback). Time is correct, status 'ok' , updated 'a minute ago'. Waiting changes nothing but the updated minutes will rise up and then drop back to 'a minute ago' every once in a while. Never goes to 'realtime'.
0 Likes 0 ·

@usernamepasswordbs

Seems your lappy isn't reachimg VRM in realtime at all, it's just feeding you a cache it's saved before. Can you post a screenpic(s) of your VRM settings in Remote Console.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vrm_portal:start

0 Likes 0 ·

It does work ok sometimes but also jumps back to the other day's data whenever it takes a fancy.

Voilà, VRM settings.
screenshot-5.png

screenshot-7.png

screenshot-9.png

0 Likes 0 ·
screenshot-5.png (44.2 KiB)
screenshot-7.png (50.3 KiB)
screenshot-9.png (46.9 KiB)
@usernamepasswordbs

Try ticking the HTTPS. It does seem to be logging though, so I suspect it's your laptop/networking. If you're using wifi take a look at Remote Console WIFI settings to see if you can pick out something strange there. Maybe try a different browser. Really hard to find a computer issue from here, so you're muchly on your own now..

0 Likes 0 ·

I did try HTTPS the other day but it seemed to give me even more connection issues.

Thanks anyway.

0 Likes 0 ·
Agree with @JohnC , probably network or your pc.

Is it any better connecting with a phone via WiFi?

0 Likes 0 ·
Remote console was always updated in realtime or near enough. It was just the dashboard that wouldn't but today it seems to be working ok for no particular reason that I know of.

My problem now that the dashboard is actually useful is that I can't see the whole screen due to the menu on the left taking too much screen space. Changing the zoom ratio doesn't help.

Any ideas?

0 Likes 0 ·
How do you get a menu obstructing the screen? I can't reproduce it.
0 Likes 0 ·
usernamepasswordbs avatar image usernamepasswordbs usernamepasswordbs commented ·
The dashboard has stopped updating again. I tried the marine version which seems to update every couple of seconds and the remote console works fine.

The dashboard would be better as I can hover over the graph-type things.
0 Likes 0 ·

Hopefully you can see what I meanscreenshot-13.png

Like that

screenshot-13.png (158.7 KiB)
4 comments
2 |3000

johnone avatar image johnone commented ·

That looks very likely to be a browser/css/javascript problem - on modern systems the left menu reduces to a 'hamburger' menu top right when screen width isn't sufficient.

Probably not solvable on your set-up - but if you supplied OS-and-version and browser-and-version info this could be confirmed.

Not terribly helpful I know but we can't expect Victron to provide functionality for *every* possible OS/ browser combo. You must surely be seeing weird layouts on other websites - that's how it works.

1 Like 1 ·
usernamepasswordbs avatar image usernamepasswordbs johnone commented ·

no other weird layouts that i can think of.

win10 home 21h2

chrome 109.0.5414.74.

pretty standard i would have thought.

0 Likes 0 ·
Thanks for the screenshot.

If you click on one of the options does the menu disappear when the other option comes up, or does it remain?

And if you click on the dashboard area, does that reduce the menu back to the hamburger state?

0 Likes 0 ·
The menu stays all the time.
0 Likes 0 ·

I have found that the remote console is fine with realtime but the dashboard is not. The VRM on my phone has the exact same problem, it gets stuck on the same "throwback" data as the dashboard on my computer.

Sometimes it says "installation is too busy".

2 |3000

ralf-ct avatar image
ralf-ct answered ·

Interesting post! My Realtime Monitoring is on, I can connect to the Cerbo GX via Wi-Fi and to VRM via Internet,

I can see my dashboard and the summary view, BUT, when I click on advanced and check, for example, System - AC Configuration, I'm not seeing logs of the kettle, microwave etc., while smaller draws like the fridge are shown. The heater on a separate circuit shows, but not the kettle if plugged in on that circuit. I thought it might be a cable, but it's the same with a different cable. I've wasted hours trying to find a solution.

8 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Please post a screen shot showing this.

What equipment is in your installation.

0 Likes 0 ·
ralf-ct avatar image ralf-ct kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks for responding. This morning, just after 10AM, I boiled a 2,400kW kettle three times (to fill several flasks), yet there's only one spike to 1,985W. The dashboard data is current and updating continuously (so the Wi-Fi is fine), but anything under 'Advanced' seems to be missing data. I've deleted all Victron cookies, but the problem remains the same. The 'missing' Grid data is due to power cuts, we have several 2-4 hour cuts per day, losing up to 10 hours. In principle, VRM is fantastic, but only if it provides true data.ralf-vrm-portal-2023-05-27-105418.pngralf-vrm-portal-2023-05-27-105607.pngralf-vrm-portal-2023-05-27-105523.png

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ ralf-ct commented ·
@Ralf_CT

You have your Logging Interval set to 10 minutes. That's why the stored data is missing your load peaks.

0 Likes 0 ·
ralf-ct avatar image ralf-ct JohnC ♦ commented ·

That doesn't make sense. VRM offers logging options from 1 minute to 1 hour. I understand this to mean the data stored in the Cerbo GX will be uploaded from 1 minute to 1 hour, depending on the setting, not that it will log what happens every minute or hour.

Edit: I've changed the logging to 1m, it now seems to show the 2,400kW kettle if I use it at a specific time, if I request a graph for the last few hours, BUT, if I request a graph of the last several days the 'peak' at the time when I used the kettle only goes up to 848W. Why?

0 Likes 0 ·
@Ralf_CT

A 10min log interval means just that. No data in between is sent to VRM.

0 Likes 0 ·
So if one sets logging to 5 hours to save bandwidth (if using a GSM connection, for example), then the graph will only show what happens at the inverter for an instant every 5 hours? Nothing happening during those 5 hours is displayed? That doesn't sound right.
0 Likes 0 ·
@Ralf_CT

The Log Interval is set in the GX, and the data saved there, for every minute if you have it set for a minute. How often you open comms with VRM is up to you, but that data will then be sent all at once. There are data storage limits on the GX devices, but usually under 24hrs is ok.

Re your edit. I think there's some averaging done when (say) 1 minute data is graphed over a day every 5 min. You can usually zoom it to get down to 1 min graph points again over a shorter length of time.

0 Likes 0 ·

I think I may be getting somewhere. I just came across this, which will address my 'edit' issue above and show the maximum value over a given period:

Show range values

Accurately show peaks by plotting the min-max data.VRM data is recorded on sample basis, with the sample interval being the logging interval as configured on the GX Device.

0 Likes 0 ·
1234enough avatar image
1234enough answered ·

VRM not displaying correct, been discharging and display is showing idle, when charging it seems to display correctly. Seems to be all over the place since last update.screenshot-20230527-103322-vrm.jpg

2 |3000

amgmaniac avatar image
amgmaniac answered ·

I've been experiencing this problem until just now. Through my Cerbo GX I navigated to Settings/VRM Portal/Log Interval and changed that to 1m. I then ticked the VRM two way connection to On and low and behold my online portal updated immediately and also now shows my Multiplus II which wasn't there before. It also now shows Real-time under last updated. Problem solved, for me anyway! Screenshot_20240210_102012.jpgScreenshot_20240210_102039.jpg

2 |3000