question

Minas Papageorgiou avatar image
Minas Papageorgiou asked

Bluesolar MPPT 150/70 not producing max when with load

Hi. I have just setted up a system with BlueSolar MPPT 150/70 and two Multi C 2000 @ 24v with 4x445 panels (1780w) connected with a 600h SOPZ bank.

I started it up and saw the BlueSolar bringing in ~200W, since the batteries where almost charged by the Multis via the grid.

I then put some load on the inverter, up to 1.5Kw and I noticed the BlueSolar was not producing more than ~420w, therefore drawing rest from batteries. At that time the panel voltage was at 92V , o a summer sunny noon.

Is there something wrong in the setup , do I need to do any further configuration?

Thanks!

multiplus in parallelBlueSolar PWM
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
You are able to view the Bluesolar data via BT dongle/VE direct>usb adaptor?

Post a screen shot of the mppt overview, and battery charge settings.

0 Likes 0 ·
Minas Papageorgiou avatar image Minas Papageorgiou klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
I only have an MK3 VB.Bus for my multics not the VE.Direct cable..

The only thing I changed in the setup was to switch to algorithm 5.

What option could be impacting this behavior?

I was reading the manual and found this two points:

a.Maximum chart current(bulk-current) , which is set to 70A.

b.somewhere it says that in Equlization it limits to 25%.

I am not in equlization but in absorption/floating mode. Could there also be a limit in the current?

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Your max power out of the charger is output current * battery voltage at that time.

Max output current is 70A (from charger specification)

70*24=1680W. So something wrong, could be settings, could be cable/connection resistance. Could also be lack of sun, but you seem to have discounted that. Might also be that the battery voltage isn't low enough to allow full charge rate.

Panel voltage isn't really a good indication of power availability, panels need to operate at the high end of their voltage range for max power and the MPPT will adjust to keep voltage high under load.

One further thought. How long did you wait before taking the measurements? It can take a few minutes for the MPPT to really get going.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Minas Papageorgiou avatar image Minas Papageorgiou commented ·

One thing for sure is not the sun...its noon 35c :)

One thing you mention is "Might also be that the battery voltage isn't low enough to allow full charge rate." Is this configurable?? Can it sync with the Multi or with any trigger?

Yes, the batteries are fully charged...but I dont want to discharge the batteries when the panels can provide right now almost 100%...

And yes, I did not wait more that 1 min to see the current been increased..

Any thoughts??

THanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ Minas Papageorgiou commented ·
Try setting the charge voltage on the multi lower than the MPPT. Set MPPT at the top of the range for the batteries, multis at the bottom.

When panels get hot, and this can be much higher than air temperature, output can drop a lot.

I did a similar test a few weeks back. I had to let the battery voltage drop a little before the panels really kicked in, until then the batteries took the load.

0 Likes 0 ·
Minas Papageorgiou avatar image
Minas Papageorgiou answered ·

So here is my understanding...

Since the batteries are almost full , it limits current to 20% of Imax (70A).

Therefore while the inverter is drawing more that the 20%, because voltage has not dropped, it uses the battery power for the rest.

My understanding is that I need to enable Hub-1 functionality for the MPPT to communicate with the inverter, so when the inverter draws power the mppt to increase current.

But....I had bought all these stuff back in 2013...and sitting in their boxes until now!

So the BlueSolar MPPT 150/70 I have has old firwmare and need a 450 euro cable to upgrade to v2 that has Hub-1 functionality...

bad luck??

1 comment
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

But....I had bought all these stuff back in 2013...and sitting in their boxes until now!

So the BlueSolar MPPT 150/70 I have has old firwmare and need a 450 euro cable to upgrade to v2 that has Hub-1 functionality...

UMmm. 2013 model mppts??

Perhaps share a link to you model mppt..

0 Likes 0 ·