question

brucevanderbilt avatar image
brucevanderbilt asked

Power Assist Issues

My installation consists of 2 Multipluses 12/3000/120 (in parallel), Lynx Smart BMS, Cerbo GX, 4x Victron Lithium 330ah batteries., and 4 Smart Solar 100/50 with all DC loads on a SBP. All components have the latest firmware. This is on a sailing catamaran.

After months of flawless performance, I’m experiencing some intermittent strange behaviors that are occurring more frequently with the power assist capability of my system. I get slightly different behaviors if I’m on shore power vs generator power.

1. Shore power: Occasionally I’ll wake up to see my batteries are somewhat depleted as the system is using assist unnecessarily. You can see in the first picture where my Multipluses are accepting only 1185W of power, but my AC loads are 1918W. My input limit in this case is set to 25amps as I’m currently on a 30amp shore pedestal. Additionally, I’ll observe that the reverse polarity light on my panel glows slightly brighter with increasing loads. NOTE: When bypassing the Multipluses, or while solely inverting power, the reverse polarity light is completely dark. 20220618-005636.jpg
  2. Generator Power: After degrading performance which started similar to what I’m experiencing with shore power above, the system has mostly stopped accepting generator power, and I get a fault. See picture 2. I found I can sometimes trick it by turning off all AC loads prior supplying generator power in. But I’ll often get the little triangle error on the device list page of my cerbo. However, I don’t see any actual notifications for my multiplus. I also experience glowing reverse polarity light on my panel. In the tricked mode, none of my air con units will start (even the 8kbtu). In my troubleshooting, I removed the ELCI breaker from the output of the generator and it appears I’m back to flawless performance. ABYC codes require an ELCI, so I’d like to return it to service.20220622-140657.jpg

Has anyone experienced similar error conditions? Could it be that my Generator’s output ELCI has failed and is causing the inconsistent behavior? Could I have some other grounding issue? Like possibly Ground Relay issues?

multiplus in parallelpowerassist
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

Ok, good to know that information. Firstly let’s try some slight changes to see if we can get it working as it should.

Let’s attempt to overcome the power assist issue by increasing the current limit from 15 amps to 25 amps. I know it is “overruled by remote” but let’s start high and overrule it lower rather than the other way around. It may take some time to work through these things so one thing at a time.

After that, in order to get the MP “happy with” the generator please uncheck “UPS”. The MP will still work fine and you are on a Cruising Cat, not a data centre so the MP performance will be absolutely fine with UPS unchecked.

Regards

Trevor

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

brucevanderbilt avatar image brucevanderbilt commented ·

Thank you again for the assistance. Previously I thought the ELCI had been the culprit because I had some success after removing it, however it was a coincidence and the Multipluses again stopped accepting power from the genset.

Following your advice, I unchecked the UPS function and now the system appears to be working flawlessly. I’ve put it through it’s paces with varying loads up to the max output of the generator and and beyond to test power assist. It appears to be working 100%. I’m a little nervous that this is again a coincidence so will give it some more time, but I’m hopeful the UPS function is the culprit.

On shore power, power assist has been functioning flawlessly this week. So perhaps you were spot on that I was experiencing voltage drop at periods of time leading to power assist kicking in despite having my input limit high enough to cover the loads.

I noticed that the Multipluses have a new firmware version 4.97 available. I’m currently running 4.90. I’m going to hold on updating until I know everything is functioning properly. I’d hate to introduce another potential point of instability.

I’ll follow up on this after more thorough testing and let you know how it’s working.

0 Likes 0 ·
Trevor Bird avatar image Trevor Bird brucevanderbilt commented ·
@brucevanderbilt I'm pleased you are making progress. Very wise to chnage one thing at a time. It is easy to get confused with too many variables. Keep testing and lets see how it goes.

0 Likes 0 ·
Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

Hello @brucevanderbilt . You have a lot going on with that system and she must be a huge cat. It is hard to attack this so perhaps one issue at a time. Let’s cover the reverse power light on your panel.

The reverse power light is a small light wired between the earth and neutral. The reason is the neutral and earth are joined at various points in the system. Usually the earth and neutral are joined at the distribution board at the Marina. If between the Main distribution board and your boat the the active and neutral we’re somehow reversed, your light would glow because the neutral would now be active.

Ok, let’s assume the active and neutral are not reversed but somehow the light is still glowing… why??

The reason is the cabling and connections between the distribution board and your boat have some voltage drop. Simple ohms law tells us the voltage drop is proportional to current flow. The voltage drop on the neutral line allows a voltage to develop between Neutral and Earth ( no current in the Earth wire). That voltage allows the light to glow. More current ( greater load) makes the light glow brighter.

Sometimes the voltage drop may be caused by a corroded connector on the neutral pin of the connector on the dock or maybe it is simply light cabling supplying the marina pedestals.

I hope that makes sense. The light dimly glowing does not mean the voltage is actually reversed and if the ground relay on a Multiplus is engaged the light would go out because earth and neutral are tied together on the output of the multiplus.

I would not tend to associate that light glowing with the issues you have with your Victron Multipluses.

I hope this is a start.

2 |3000

Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

Hello @brucevanderbilt ...now just trying to attack the next issue. Perhaps the glowing reverse power light could be a hint to what is happening.

It would be helpful to know what the mains voltage is when the multiplus is in "assist mode". If the mains voltage to your vessel drops under moderate load, the multiplus may interprete that as mains requiring assistance, no matter what the current limit is set to. I think if the Multiplus has "Dynamic Current Limit" enabled, the mulitplus will avoid dragging the supply voltage down by "power assisting". The mains issue may be that the mains voltage is sagging under load and the Multiplus is seeing the voltage drop and trying to compensate for it. Turning off "Dynamic Current Limit" may help remove the power assist issue but may induce a low mains voltage alarm. That would be a good experiment.

I hope this helps.

2 |3000

Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

Hello @brucevanderbilt ...Just dealing with the generator issue, are you saying the ELCI trips causing a loss of power? In other words it trips and power is lost so if you remove it (bypass it) power is restored and all if good. If that is the case can we characterise the generator problem as the ELCI keeps tripping or have I misread that?

2 |3000

brucevanderbilt answered ·

Hi @Trevor Bird. I very much appreciate the methodical and thoughtful approach to this issue. Thank you!

It's worth noting that I installed the system myself (after my many months and iterations of schematics and planning reviews with my local ABYC tech). I built a mock-up of the space in my garage and tested everything thoroughly prior to installing in the boat. My ABYC tech has said that it’s one of the cleanest and robustly built installs he’s seen. We’ve had several months of flawless performance in the boat through the spring.

With this being my only Victron install experience, I don’t have the deep fundamental expertise to troubleshoot all anomalies. So your approach is incredibly valuable. I'll work my way through your 3 comments here.

1) Your explanation of the polarity light is helpful to conceptually understand how it works and what to infer from it's behavior. I had my local ABYC tech look at it and his thought was that the glow was so minor it's indicative of normal voltage drop. I haven't had him go through the whole system because a) they do not typically work with Victron products b) we are preparing for a circumnavigation, and I need to be able to understand how to troubleshoot the system myself.

2) The lowest I’ve seen is 114v on shower power, and never less than 119v on genset. It’s an older marina, quite full, and probably a lot of air con units running at night. My pedestal only has a 30amp connection, and I have my input limit typically set at 25amps. But I will keep a closer eye on this. My panel has a large digital display for shore power voltage and also voltage at the main panel (side by side). So it’s easy to notice any fluctuations.

I just looked in my latest VE Config file and my configuration has the “Dynamic Current Limit” unchecked. But this give’s me much food for thought. Could there be something to do with the boost factor? Or UPS setting? Please take a look at my settings and let me know your thoughts.

3) The ELCI has NOT tripped coming out of my Genset nor the one on shore power. It appears the generator is performing well as voltage holds 120 up to max load and runs all onboard equipment flawlessly when bypassing the Multipluses.

My ABYC tech mentioned that it’s possible that the ELCI is introducing some stray voltage that is interfering with the Multipluses. On his recommendation, I removed it and sure enough, it appears the system is accepting generator power without issue now (but I need to verify this under full loads still). So it leaves me wondering if the ELCI breaker could be bad? Or if there’s some other intermittent problem related to the shore power issue that I’m missing and thrown off by coincidence of removing the ELCI breaker. Or does Victron equipment not play well with ELCIs possibly?

It just occurred to me I could try swapping the shore power ELCI breaker and see if I get different results. Ultimately, I want to keep the ELCI in the system to meet ABYC code.

config1.jpg

config2.jpg

config3.jpg

config4.jpg

config1.jpg (59.8 KiB)
config2.jpg (53.6 KiB)
config3.jpg (76.3 KiB)
config4.jpg (72.0 KiB)
2 |3000

brucevanderbilt answered ·

Hello @Trevor Bird,

I've put my system through it's paces for the past couple months since my last update on this thread. The system is now accepting AC input from both shore power and my generator with 100% reliability. Unchecking the UPS function on my Multiplus Configuration was the key. Thank you for that recommendation!

I'm still consistently experiencing a strange power assist behavior. When my loads exceed my set input limit, the AC input drops to well below the input limit set and stays there. The net result is that I continue to experience batteries that are drawn down in the morning after running a couple air conditioners that cycle on and off through the night. Once the load exceeds the input limit, the input power drops and from that point forward stays at the lower input.

In the attached video, I have the input limit set to 20amps. The system properly accepts the roughly 2400 watts of input power and easily handles the load of one airconditioner of 1700watts while also charging the batteries with the balance of power remaining. When I power on the second airconditioner, the load increases to slightly above the input limit and the system reduces the input to roughly 1600 watts. Because the system reduces the input power, it then starts to tax the batteries for the difference of power needed.

If the system continued to accept the full power up to the set limit, the input power would mostly cover the loads. This behavior is consistent when exceeding any limit I set and regardless of the type of loads I use (microwave, oven, Air Con, heat guns, etc). It also consistently behaves this way whether my source power is shore or generator.

20220727-155540.mp4 (20.4 MiB)
2 |3000