question

jtk avatar image
jtk asked

energy meter with MP2

I have a question. My system has been running near perfectly the past week.. Yesterday I installed a ET112 in line with my grid feed.. Now I have some issues. I assume it is setup related...

Setup:

Multiplus2, VenusGX, MPPT150/100, 2xPylontech US3000, ET112

Load setup:

three loads: mains in to ET112. Then after ET112 I have loads. Geyser and some plugs. Then AC goes to inverter. coming back from inverter I have more loads on the Critical load side. Before this it was set up the same without the ET112

What happened before the ET112. Excess power from MPPT would be fed back into the grid and as a result could be re-used by the geyser and plugs directly after mains.

What happens currently is that my MPPT and battery is being used to supplement power to the load on the mains. This is a big issue as my battery runs flat in no time. I want the battery only to be used for critical loads and if no MPPT is available then loads off mains must use mains and not battery power.

Can anyone help?

thanks

power meter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

I assume you’re running the ESS assistant. If this is the case, it is correct. As the inverter has one DC bus it would use power from this for both loads. The end result would be that your grid usage would be minimized. If you would like to preserve battery, you have a few options. Set the ESS mode to keep batteries charged. This would ensure that the battery won’t be used to power any load unless you have a grid failure. Alternatively set up a scheduled charge, also in ESS menu. Doing this you could ensure the battery isn’t used during the time your geyser element is on. To run it efficiently, your geyser would need to be on a timer and your scheduled charge would need to take those times into account and be set up around it

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jtk avatar image jtk commented ·

Yes running ESS. If this is correct with ESS then I have no option but to remove the energy meter. I cant punish my batteries like that. They push out max current when the geyser heats. Not good for any battery.

question: how come will it feed back into the grid excess MPPT generation (which is on the same DC bus as the battery) and not the battery when energy meter is not installed? This is what I want for usage with the energy meter... Seems very odd that one cant have it?

0 Likes 0 ·
Murray van Graan avatar image Murray van Graan jtk commented ·

You could limit the rate of discharge by setting the “limit inverter power” in ESS menu.

Without the energy meter you won’t be able to prevent the unit from feeding power back to the grid.

When the energy meter is connected the system knows the load between the grid and the AC input side, then the battery will discharge to all loads. Without the energy meter the grid is an infinite drain and only excess solar feedback is possible. I am not sure whether it is something Victron is working on, maybe @Guy Stewart (Victron Energy Staff) could advise?

0 Likes 0 ·
jtk avatar image
jtk answered ·

any more info on this? I played around but cant seem to find a way for my batteries not to get discharged to primary load when using the meter.. :(

2 |3000

Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

Have you tried using scheduled charge? During a scheduled charge the unit won’t discharge the battery

1 comment
2 |3000

jtk avatar image jtk commented ·

does not solve the root problem. If I do that then it will still drain the battery to the mains portion when it is outside of the charge window. Even during the day...

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic