question

steves avatar image
steves asked

Orion standby current? Does it need to be turned off?

I have a boat, with starter battery and domestic bank. I plan to use a non isolated Orion 12 12-30 to charge the domestic bank. The starter battery can be charged in 3 ways: alternator, solar or shore power. Is there any reason why the Orion should not be left on ALL the time so that if the starter battery voltage is high enough it passed power though to the domestic bank? Clearly the cut off needs to be set high enough that the started battery does not discharge. And finally if that condition is not met what is the Orion consuming? Is this the 1mA standby current in the data sheet? Thanks.

orion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Yes this will work. Set up in engine detection. I have something similar set up. Start voltage on the Orion is set to 14V from memory. Watch the cut out voltage, just below float would be a good starting point.

Standby current is what the drain will be, mine does this, but takes a few minutes before it drops into standby mode.

As long as the other settings are correct and there's regular charging of the starter, no need to turn off.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

steves avatar image
steves answered ·

KevGermany, thanks for your reply. That is less than 1 Ah per month. On a 100A battery that is trivial.

2 |3000

Related Resources