question

rattus avatar image
rattus asked

VictronConnect vs VRM Portal: What's the diffs? (oh, and VE.Configure)

Hello again.

What's the fundamental difference between VictronConnect and the VRM Portal?

And, can I run both on my Mac (desktop/macmini) at once?

Am I right in thinking VictronConnect is intended to replace VE.Configure?

If so, is this a done deal?

And, lastly, once you have an installation (as I have) with VRM running, are all the settings made in VE.Configure (or VictronConnect) available through the VRM?

p.s. I did search this question online, suppose I could read 3 difficult documents, just thought I'd ask outright first..

Kind Regards

ratlips.

VictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

Perhaps worth noting that there is also Remote VEConfigure which is accessible via the Device List in VRM.

AFAIK this gives access to the complete range of configuration capabilities without the need for the special (and expensive) MK3-USB cable interface.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

VRM is primarily for monitoring, some configuration ability has been added. But many installations are not on VRM and don't need it. Victron connect is the main configuration tool, but has not completely replaced VE configure yet, although I understand from previous posts that that is the intention.

2 |3000

seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

There would be a lot to write, so I'll only list the basics:

VRM is the online portal/cloud storage of the logged data sent by a GX device. Main function is solar system monitoring of various parameters. You can also make some updates, change settings for some devices.

Requires a GX device (such as Cerbo GX) and Internet connection.

VictronConnect and VE.Configure 3 are software/apps which run on a local device. Main purpose is to set up Victron devices.

VictronConnect has a broader range of devices it can be used with (inverters, MPPT solar chargers, SmartShunt/BMV, etc.).

Most common way to connect to a Victron device using VictronConnect is via Bluetooth (but not limited to Bluetooth).

VE.Configure 3 is used to set up Multiplus/Quattro inverters. It runs on a Windows PC (there is a way to run it with a Apple Mac using a Windows Virtual Machine).

Connection to the inverter is done via a special MK3-USB cable interface (most often).

Victron Connect is the newer software, it also runs on phones, but at least for now it does not have some capabilities of VE.Configure 3 (for instance you can't change the inverter grid code using VictronConnect).

2 |3000

Related Resources