question

duswami avatar image
duswami asked

Whats the best way to see activity on L2 using ESS

I'm running a DC coupled ESS system (mode 1). My panel is split phase not 3 phase. I have essential loads on AC out 1 Connected to L1 in the breaker panel (120v). I am not currently using AC out 2 for non essential loads they are still in the breaker panel. Aside from moving those loads to AC out 2, What alternative do I have to to monitor L2 in VRM and have ESS take it into consideration? I do have an EM24 That is not hooked up to the system. But if I use it it supersedes the current monitoring of the multiplus plus, that is my understanding. Any suggestions?

Multiplus-IIESSwiringem24
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Duswami

In the vrm you can see the two outputs in the advanced tabs. Just load the widget for it. This is just one example, you can see it in watts as well. So look for the several options.

screenshot-20220624-075705.jpg

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

duswami avatar image duswami commented ·
@Alexandra But I do not have phase 2 (L2) running through the Multi as the Multi's 120V circuit is only on L1 and I am not using AC OUT 2 for non essential loads, which are the loads I wish to monitor.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ duswami commented ·
@Duswami

AC Out 2 is not L2. If you want separate monitoring the only way is more meters.

0 Likes 0 ·
duswami avatar image
duswami answered ·

@Alexandra Sorry, I made this unclear, bad wording. I understand AC OUT 2 is not L2. What I meant was, how can I monitor the remaining non-essential circuits in the breaker panel, which happen to be on the other leg of my split phase system, I sometimes refer to them as L2 as I have the AC IN to the Multi on a dedicated circuit on L1 and everything else moved over to the other side so to speak. But I think you answered the question, additional current sensor (CT). So, what I was wondering, if I used a CT, wouldn't that interrupt the current monitoring in the Multi, messing up ESS since it makes the Multi's CT redundant?

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Duswami

In this article.

See #6

You should be able to see L1 and L2 outputs but the AC1 and 2 on each leg will be combined.

0 Likes 0 ·
duswami avatar image
duswami answered ·

@Alexandra Ok great, but for clarity, I need to be using AC out 2 as well, correct. And I have the Multi II, not the GX version. Will it work for the II (non GX)?

6 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Duswami

Yes, you do have a GX added to the system.

Do you have 1 or two inverters here? Or is it the split phase unit?

I think I have my wires crossed here assuming you are working in split phase.

If it is one, the GX 'sees' ac1 out and ac2 out as one load, not discernable unless they are metered externally separately.

The difference between ac1 and ac2 out is that ac2 out is programmable. In other words can be programmed to load shed if acin goes out, or can be switched on and off based on load on ac1 or on SOC.

1 Like 1 ·
duswami avatar image duswami Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Alexandra yes cerbo GX, I thought you were talking about the Multi GX. So, one inverter, 120v. Not 2 x 120 (240v). So, split phase grid connection. AC IN circuit on L1, to AC OUT 1. Everything still in the service panel on L2 circuits. So yeah, this is where I'm confused, how do I monitor those non essential loads?

0 Likes 0 ·
@Duswami

So L2 is not passing through the inverter at all?

0 Likes 0 ·
duswami avatar image duswami Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Alexandra Well, maybe I'm not proficient in my understanding of split phase grid AC, but what I'm trying to say is I have a single pole 50A breaker on what i refer to the L1 leg of the service panel, that's the 120V feeder to AC IN. As opposed to a double pole breaker. This is why I asked about phase regulation in an earlier question.

0 Likes 0 ·
Check the block diagram in the appendix of your manual to see how power flows.
1 Like 1 ·
@Duswami

Neither am I as I work mostly with 230v and split phase or 3 phase on 230v.

But with the Victron, if the power is not flwing through it, it cannot meter it. And it also cannot differetiate between critical and non critical without a meter like the carlo gavazzi.

0 Likes 0 ·
duswami avatar image
duswami answered ·

2 |3000