question

cordy-van-der-burg avatar image
cordy-van-der-burg asked

MultiPlus II - loadshedding - misuse generator option

Hi,

I live in South Africa and we have a huge problem with loadshedding, so I installated a MultiPlus II 5000, MPPT RS450, Cerbo GX and 3 Pylon US3000C.

Now I noticed when we have loadshedding during the day that my MPPT during the grid failure doesn't supply any power to the system.
The manual states that this is not implemented in ESS but you can misuse the generator option, unfortunately I can't find any info about how to do this.

1655983310775.png

Best regards,

Cordy

Multiplus-IIMPPT Controllersgrid
1655983310775.png (24.7 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
cordy-van-der-burg avatar image
cordy-van-der-burg answered ·

So yesterday evening I switched my battery settings from Optimize battery life to Keep battery charged and looks like that fixed the problem.

Still would like to know what is meant by misuse the generator start/stop function.

1656078898663.png

1656078898663.png (76.0 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jscholtz avatar image jscholtz commented ·

dbef44e4-1cf4-4556-988e-741d40fb9b60.png
Cody, we had a similar problem (solar cuts back while we importing electricity from grid) and my remote console, like yours, did not distinguish between critical and other circuits. It turned out that my grid metering was not set correctly in ESS (Even though I had a grid meter installed to measure how much I import from the grid). Fixing the latter sorted my problem AND change the layout on the remote console to distinguish between critical and other circuits as shown above.

0 Likes 0 ·
shaneyake avatar image
shaneyake answered ·

Load shedding to not what you think in the rest of the world. It is load reducing or peak shaving, reducing you the maximum power pulled.

The way Victron had it setup was that to prevent an inverter overload it would turn off heavy loads. You can now do this with relay assistant or generator start/stop.

Basically there is feature where if the inverter is going to overload it would start a generator and switch over to that but you can misuse it by instead of starting a generator you can open a relay to turn off some of your loads to prevent overload.

Switching from Optimize battery life to Keep battery should have no effect while grid is lost.
All ESS settings are ignored when grid is lost.

I would check on the advanced tab on VRM, for battery Limits. Most likely the BMS turned off charging for some reason, this is normal for relatively new systems before all the cells are balanced.

We normally leave the system in keep batteries charged for a week or so when using pylontech batteries to give the system time to balance all the cells. It can only balance at high SOC like 95+

1 comment
2 |3000

cordy-van-der-burg avatar image cordy-van-der-burg commented ·

Hi Shane,

Thanks for the extra background info, makes sense to mis use the gen start for that.

0 Likes 0 ·