question

petajoule avatar image
petajoule asked

VenusGX allegedly swallowed a microSD

Funny story. After perpetual problems getting a clear view on the "north side" of a Venus GX (see https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/124882/venus-gx-one-or-two-usb-host-ports.html)

And for future generations - here it is:

1655930373620.png

A customer said the Venus GX swallowed the microSD card he tried to insert. Needless to say, a microSD card is not recognized. I asked him if he didn't throw it into the USB port. Allegedly no.

But - given the scarcity of north views, he used this picture I sent him:

1655930497638.png

"I tried to insert it as is pictured"

Now I'm getting a very bad suspicion. You see in that picture the microSD seems to be exactly mirrored to what the picture on the VenusGX casing says. I hope (and that would be my question) that's not the reason why a microSD card would simply fall into the Venus GX.

So we will now have to go to the installation, dismantle the VenusGX and see where the SDcard went. As I said: funny story.

Venus GX - VGX
1655930373620.png (598.1 KiB)
1655930497638.png (943.8 KiB)
9 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

You see in that picture the microSD seems to be exactly mirrored to what the picture on the VenusGX casing says.

Both pictures have the same positions. SD slot is on the left side (left side when Venus GX is viewed from the front). USB is on the right side.

Ask the customer what type (SD, SDHC, SDXC) and size is the SD card and what File System has (must be FAT32).

0 Likes 0 ·
petajoule avatar image petajoule seb71 commented ·
Look again closely. One picture shows the SDcard dent to the left, one to the right.
0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 petajoule commented ·

Maybe you should look again.

Maybe this will help: in both pictures the SD card slot is closer to the side with VE.Can ports. You can see the VE.Can text in both images. And the side with the VE.Can ports is the left side (when you look at Venus GX from the front).

Or to put in another way: in the first picture, the left side of Venus GX ("left" when you look at Venus GX from the front) is on the right side of the picture, because the picture is taken with the top side of Venus GX facing the camera.

how-to-connect-to-the-venus-gx-text.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
Please...

I'm not talking about the position of the slot. I'm talking about the pictured ORIENTATION of the SD card.

0 Likes 0 ·

You said he might have inserted the SD card into the USB port.

I asked him if he didn't throw it into the USB port.

0 Likes 0 ·
Yes. And he said no. Allegedly.

My question was, (read again) that if you insert the SD card in the wrong orientation if it could simply also vanish in the SD card slot.

BECAUSE

in one picture (schematic), the DENT of the SD card looks to the left (away from the USB port), in the other (photo of venus case) the DENT of the SD card looks to the right (towards the USB port).

I hope it is clear now.

0 Likes 0 ·

Anyway, if you can force the SD card upside down in the SD card slot, it can't fell inside Venus GX. The SD card slot is enclosed.

microsd-card-slot.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ seb71 commented ·
I think the slot in the outer (plastic case) is big enough that a card can be inserted over the top of the metal socket. And lost..

I did this to a tablet and had to pop the back off to recover the card.

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Or the customer does not know how to eject the card and he thinks it's gone.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Looks like those pics are of different models. Maybe the USB and SD slot were switched.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Normally it is not possible to insert a micro SD card into the slot in a wrong orientation, it only fits in the correct orientation. Except you use brute force.

For me it looks like he inserted the card under the USB port.

Edit: now on the bigger PC screen it seem to be just the PCB of the Venus under the USB port.

4 comments
2 |3000

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

That's a screenshot from this video.

It's not a picture from the Venus GX he has.

So don't search for an SD card in that picture.

how-to-connect-to-the-venus-gx.png

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Might have gone in like you said and dropped inside if this is wall mounted.
0 Likes 0 ·
petajoule avatar image petajoule kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Yes, it is of course wall mounted. So gravity helped. Question is what consequences this will bring. So far no shorts or so have happened.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ petajoule commented ·
Keep us posted, this is fascinating
0 Likes 0 ·