question

ted-owens avatar image
ted-owens asked

DC/DC Charger Status is Off but it is still charging

I have a 12V-12V, 30A DC/DC charger on my boat. Frequently the status shown in the Victron Connect app is "Off - Charging Disabled", however it is actually still charging. I can tell because, the output voltage is displayed and it is greater than the house battery bank voltage. Also, I have an external Amp meter that registers a charge (usually about 25 Amps). The charger is enabled on the settings page of Victron Connect. I have seen examples of errors that are more descriptive (ex. Engine shutdown detected), but I don't understand why I am getting this error. Any ideas about why this is happening?

VictronConnect
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ted-owens avatar image ted-owens commented ·

Thanks for your reply, per your questions:

Where are you measuring the charge current? - There is a shunt immediately connected to the positive cable from the alternator.

Please post screen shots of what you see in victron connect

screenshot-20220623-115532.png

screenshot-20220623-115547.png

Any other chargers? - Yes, I have solar MPPT chargers and another DC/DC charger on another engine.

New or long term problem? - I have been having charging problems on this alternator/charger for several months. The charger on the other engine works great. My biggest issue is that after it has been running for awhile the charge current drops to zero when the house battery is not yet charged. The Message that the charging is "Off" is potentially related to this. Victron replaced a unit on this engine for this problem and the problem went away for awhile but now it has come back.

Another observation is that this "Off" message will sometimes go away if there is a voltage disruption on the house battery (ex. use of a toaster oven).

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Where are you measuring the charge current?

Please post screen shots of what you see in victron connect

Any other chargers?

New or long term problem?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources