question

Bret Watson avatar image
Bret Watson asked

ve.bus schematic?

Looking to make something like @Rob Duthie's stetson but with VE.Bus and more CAN busses.. Reading around the VE.Bus looks like RS485? Can anyone confirm? Rob - are you willing to share your raw files?

Thanks

Venus OSVE.Bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Bret Watson avatar image
Bret Watson answered ·

Hmm found this [https://raw.githubusercontent.com/victronenergy/venusgx-hardware/master/VE_BBB_Cape_v0.80_released.pdf] which does look like a RS485, but with a pic operating a couple of extra lines.. and no pic source code..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi Yes i can

PDF attached of the schematic, i was designed foe the raspi3B+ boards

But are testing with the raspi4B+ boards.

I only have a basic prototype made up to test before getting the PCB's made. For the VE bus i use just the Mk3 to USB inteface to use it with Victron equyipment. The CanBus can have two but i have only have one at the moment. just tying to keep it on one PCB to fit in the dinrail case i have for it.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

Victron Raspi Hat.pdf

Victron Raspi Stetson.pdf

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Your only choice for VE.Bus connectivity is to use the MK3 USB interface. I know it's an expensive interface but you only need one in a system.

Remember, this bus is responsible for synchronizing multiple inverter/charger devices in a parallel and/or multi-phase environment. You wouldn't want to step on this low-latency, mission critical communication with a badly timed message. I don't know the details but suspect that much of the protocol is implemented in custom silicon.

2 |3000

Related Resources