question

dclj avatar image
dclj asked

Existing Lead Acid adding extra Lithium with Bidirectional DC-DC Orion TR Smart

capture.png

Hello,

I have an existing FLA house battery bank (4x 12v 115Ah) charged by alternator and solar on narrowboat. The starter circuit is separate with dedicated battery and alternator.

I would like to add a lithium to increase capacity to the house bank.

I have seen people just adding a smart Lithium to FLA in parallel relying on Lithium BMS, which I am not that happy with - or will this work?

I have also read on this forum of an idea using two Orion TR Smart 12/12-30A in opposite directions with a manual switch to control direction on charge, either to charge lithium or discharging lithium to lead when not charging - which sounds like it does what I want, apart from the manual switch - this surely can be done automatically.

I have also seen the BOS LE300, which appears to do what I want, but very expensively.

I would like to add my own 100Ah Lithium, and have a module that manages the charging and discharging the Lithium correctly.

Would this be equivalent to a bi-directional Orion TR Smart?

Does this exist?

Alternatively - could I just move all the load to come off the Lithium and use a Orion TR Smart to charge Lithium from Lead/Alternator, so removing the need to be bi-directional. Can a Lead charge a Lithium without the alternator or solar putting in charge? I don't think I could do the opposite way around and charge the Lithium side from the alternator due to overheating and BMS shutoff potentially killing the alternator?

Or any other suggestions?

Thank you

orion dc-dc
capture.png (9.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

I saw somewhere that there's a new regulation prohibiting this. But Victron do make a battery combiner that connects LiFePo4 to lead batteries.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

I would not move the starter to the lithium! But everything else can probably move as long as the lithium can support the peak and average current demands the loads place on the battery bank.

2 |3000

James Hooper avatar image
James Hooper answered ·

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfWIDonFUBr/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Safiery mark units which are bi directional. Generally 12v to 48v but maybe able to help with your situation.

2 |3000

Related Resources