question

matzotom avatar image
matzotom asked

Should a smart shunt show a positive load when the Orion DC/DC charger is charging

I purchased my Sprinter based camper last year as a first-time campervan owner. Overall, I’ve found it to be satisfactory although there have been some areas that could be improved. The battery life when off-grid was fine but the re-charging capabilities seemed poor.

I have fitted a Smart shunt to better understand power usage, an orion DC/DC charger and a MPPT 100/20 solar controller.

When the engine is running, the smart shunt does not show a positive power input, only power being drawn. Is this correct?

Because I am a complete novice, I'm not sure that I have wired the system correctly. For information, the van is fitted with a Sargent EC155 unit. I have fitted the Orion as the Sargents built in DC/DC charger is not compatible with smart alternators.

I have found a wiring schematic and modified it to show exactly how the system is currently wired.

Thanks in advance12v-wiring-diagram1.jpg

SmartShunt
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

freighttrain avatar image freighttrain commented ·
Exactly. The shunt cannot measure current that does not flow through it.
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·
Move the negative output from the B2B over to the negative bus.

Move the negative output from the mppt over to the negative bus.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.