question

nhuillard avatar image
nhuillard asked

Use data from the grid meter (Linky or electronic grid meter, France)

I have connected my grid meter to a raspberry since very long time. I use the LED blink (1 Wh per pulse) to trigger a 1-wire counter, connected to a 1-wire to USB device, using owfs to read data. I also use a serial to USB device to read actual "télé-information client" (customer remote data) on the same raspberry.

I'd like to know how I can connect those data sources to the Venus GX, and trun it into a proper "energy meter" that could drive the ESS mode.

I may continue to use the raspberry to convert data into MQTT or ModbusTCP frames, or ideally add owfs and a few Python/Perl script inside the VenusGX to do this.

I don't want to add yet another energy meter. Just use the existing grid-provided one.

TIA !

Energy Metergrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
xychiux avatar image
xychiux answered ·

I'm in a similar situation.

I had a multiplus 24/1600/40 as grid setup (did not have EDF connection)
Now I do have EDF connection and my Multiplus ESS with gridpoint set to 0 watts. However The multi doesn't know what is used on the house network (connected to the IN of the multiplus). Meaning I'm not using solar power while using power on my housenetwork.

(on the OUT of the multi is 1 10A group for security cams, alarm and internet)

there's 2 questions:
- Anyone familiar with feeding back to the grid (small amounts < 5000Kwh/year) and using the grid as an extra battery (don't want to earn money, just want to be able to put the power to good use)
- Anyone familiar with getting data from a linky in the Victron environment.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

xychiux avatar image
xychiux answered ·

https://www.jonathandupre.fr/articles/index.php?url=/24-logiciel-scripts/208-suivi-consommation-electrique-compteur-edf-linky-avec-raspberry-pi-zero-w/

This might be a working starting point?

It seems the linky does provide UART data, the trick would be to present that to the VenusOS in the correct format.

like the project for connecting JDB LiFePo4 BMSses (https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/76159/victron-venusos-driver-for-serial-connected-bms-av.html)

Next step. A super simple modbus tcp server that emulates an EM24. Next is to get the data from the linky and reformat it to look like EM24 data.

Example code here:
https://gist.github.com/xychix/9e1810f2227c921285e4b781fe77113a

I can confirm this is usable as external meter, I can use it to tell the system to feed back on AC-in!
Now i need a good way to populate the variables. for example by reading from the linky!

2 |3000

xychiux avatar image
xychiux answered ·

playing with the modbus emulator of the EM24 I figured out how cool this was :) ordered (a real) one the evening after!

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Energy Meter Selection Guide