question

ingwe avatar image
ingwe asked

DC-DC overcharging batteries?

I have lithium batteries fitted to our motorhome. Have a Victron dc-dc charger that governs the charging from the alternator. When the batteries are fully charged and I’m driving, I’d understood that the batteries wouldn’t be overcharged due to the management system and the dc-dc charger. Why then do some people fit isolation switches to turn off the dc-dc charger when driving?

orion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

If the battery/charging parameters are correct, a switch is not needed. The Orion will shut down automatically. I'm not really sure why people fit switches, unless it's because they can't configure the Orion properly.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tmac99 avatar image
tmac99 answered ·

I think some people install switches so they can cut the charging when they need "max power" from the engine (e.g. going up a long hill) and don't want the extra alternator load on the engine. I suspect it's a minuscule load, and doesn't really make a difference, but I have seem some people comment that is why they want to be able to cut off the DC-DC charger.

2 |3000

Nev avatar image
Nev answered ·

Not a Victron product but a good friend with a well known brand 50A DC-DC charger was thankful recently for the easily accessible inline switch when the smoke was rapidly released from inside the metal box. The connected 80A fuse link remained intact.

We direct charge our 300Ah LiFePO4 battery from the alternator at c90A.

2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Another reason to disable a B2B charger would be for people with lots of PV and good weather.

Sunlight is free... :)

2 |3000

Related Resources