question

jarjarbinks avatar image
jarjarbinks asked

Recently charged car battery won't start

Hey All,

Recently purchased a Victron 12v 15A battery charger.

Charged my century battery of 2 years as the car was not used in over 2 months and it charged completely (used recondition option) over 24 hours. Charged 66 AH?

It has been less than a week and the car won't crank, have only started it here and there as I don't currently drive.

Is it possible that the battery is just dead? or could there be something else draining the battery when not in use?

I thought when the battery passes the device test and holds a charge it would work normally or at least hold a car for longer than a few days.

Was able to jumpstart the Car using a Gooloo GP4000.

Car is a Mazda 6 2009.

Would appreciate any comments.

screenshot-20220602-194613.jpg

battery chargingAGM Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

If the battery is faulty, it will appear to charge, but will show a quick voltage drop. And it won't maintain much voltage when you try to start. Off charge, what is the battery voltage? And how long since it was charged?

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jarjarbinks avatar image jarjarbinks commented ·
Don't have s multimeter to check the off charge voltage. Been 5 days since full charge. I wondered if it could be parasitic draw, but that also requires further testing. Or maybe the battery is just dead since it was not used for 2 months.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ jarjarbinks commented ·
Multimeter is a lot cheaper than a new battery. But I wouldn't keep on with the recondition charges. I'd be tempted to get the battery tested at a battery centre.
0 Likes 0 ·
jarjarbinks avatar image jarjarbinks kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Fair enough, thank you for your help, would any cheap multimeter work for the testing?
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ jarjarbinks commented ·

Yes, no need to spend a fortune. If you want more versatility, go a little higher and get one with a clamp for current measurements. You'd be surprised how often you use them. Should be able to get a decent one under 30 bucks.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual