question

sevve77 avatar image
sevve77 asked

Some Victron questions.

Lets talk Victron. Is it me or is the system not as Good as every one clames it go be? I have the lot and spent quit a lot of money on it.

As point no. 1. My lifepo4 batterys have bms built in. And how ever i set My smartshunt i just can't seem to get the charge percentage to line up. My smartshunt says 100% when the built in bms can be all between 70 to a 100.

Nr 2. How ever I set My multiplus for shore intake it always sends me an alarm that may shore power is missing all thow haven't had shore power fore quite some while.

Nr 3. My cerbus Gx just restarts when ever it feels like it. It is just annoying.

So.... Is it the system or some thing else?

victron products
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

9 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

1 - probably settings. If you tell us what batteries you have and how they're connected, post screen shot of your settings and readings we can probably help.

2 - Settings again, turn the alarm off

3 - Need more information.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Did you have it designed and installed by a professional, as it is supposed to be, or was it all care of google and YouTube?

2 |3000

dwmarine avatar image
dwmarine answered ·

#3. The Cerbo GX on a boat seemed to be very particular about smoothness? of power supply. Switching on the autopilot or sounder would cause the Cerbo to reboot.

Maybe a Small isolated 5amp DC/DC converter would work. On that boat we fixed the issue by wiring the Cerbo GX power supply cable as close to the battery as possible to fix this.

2 |3000

chris-john avatar image
chris-john answered ·

Who’s Cerbo doesn’t reboot when ever it feels like it? Come on Victron let’s have some answers!

1 comment
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
We installed/sold dozens or hundreds of Cerbos and didn't get any claims that they restart randomly.

So I would say the problem is maybe in your installation/settings.

There is a setting to reboot the Cerbo if there is no connection to the VRM portal for a while.

If you really think it is a problem with your device contact the seller from whom you bought it to get it checked and replaced.

0 Likes 0 ·
hjohnson avatar image
hjohnson answered ·

It’s probably mostly your system.

1) the SoC claimed by drop-ins with built in BMSs is generally dubious at best. They tend to not have good/accurate shunts, so are just guessing mostly based on voltage. If you were using a battery that integrated itself, you’d probably be fine.

2) turn off your shore power alarm if you’re not needing it. No big deal.

3) do you have it set to reboot when it can’t reach the VRM servers after an hour?

I’ve been running the system on my boat for the past month, with a DIY battery and REC BMS, and it’s been rock stable.

2 |3000

Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

1. Without any information on Smartshunt setup it is hard to comment but the smartshunt sync for 100% is fairly bulletproof as the parameters to deem the battery bank 100% full are fairly conclusive. The tracking of battery SOC is an educated guess for any system so that is why a 100% sync is necessary every now and again. Slight variations between charge efficiency and peukert exponent and the actual battery characteristics make exact tracking impossible for any system.

2. Turn off “Loss of mains alarm”

3. Maybe check if “reset with loss of communications” is switched on.

We monitor quite a few of these systems and my observation is that almost without exception they simply do what the software tells them to do. The issues you mention are related to your system.

2 |3000

elvis avatar image
elvis answered ·

You can probably get the attention you're seeking with a properly formatted Title to this post.

Titles with single words such as

Help, Victron or Question are pretty useless to those who may be skilled in your topic.

Do everyone a favor (and yourself) and edit this post with a specific question / title

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
I've done it.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

I did some digging. Most Cerbo reboots are caused by poor internet connections over WiFi. Please check whether this is happening.

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

@Sevve77

Instead of re-editing the title to make it less meaningful, it would help us to help you if you posted more information.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic