question

iwan avatar image
iwan asked

VE.Bus Error 18: AC Overvoltage on the output of a slave has occurred while already switched off

I have an off-grid system with 3 Quattros (48/10000 230volt) in parallel (used to be in 3 phase) and a Fronius Primo 5KW AC coupled inverter connected to a 48v NiFe battery bank. The Batteries are charged by two Schneider MPPT 80/600 charge controllers and the Quattros are set to charge from excess power from the Fronius.

We use the grid as a UPS with an ATS to switch to the grid when the inverters shut down (usually due to low battery voltage).

This setup (minus the Fronius) worked great when it was in a 3Phase configuration.

Recently we added the AC coupled Fronius and reconfigured the whole system be be single phase parallel. The reason was mainly that we did not use any 3-phase equipment and need a larger load on one outlet so balancing between phases became a bit of an issue. By switching to a single phase the Inverters are more balanced.

However, since switching we have this issue occurring occasionally when the battery voltage is low and the inverters switch off;

VE.Bus Error: VE.Bus Error 18: AC Overvoltage on the output of a slave has occurred while already switched off    

I am confused about what could be causing this. I did update the inverters to the latest firmware before making the config change. They are all on 2653496. The Fronius is also upgraded to the latest firmware before installation.

Any help is appreciated!

Iwan.

Some additional information.

(read 'grid' as the local off-grid power network, not the real grid)

It happens in about 50% of the cases when the system shuts down due to load battery voltage. It seems to be at times when the Fronius is actually pushing some power on the local grid.

Could it be the Victron is measuring the (over)voltage coming from the Fronius just before the Fronius switches off because it lost it's 'grid'?

Is there a way to tell the Victron to allow a short period of time where it might measure a voltage on the AC-Out even if it's switched off?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerFroniusquattro 10kva
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Iwan

Only advice is, check the wiring. There have been some major changes there.

It is possible the feedback through the relays to the grid is keeping one open slightly longer than the others, sort of points to a wiring imbalance? Just a guess here.

Maybe try get the system to change over to grid before the batteries it system shutdown.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mike Dorsett avatar image Mike Dorsett commented ·
bit suprised that you are seeing a low voltage shut down while the Fronius is exporting to the grid... You should be charging your battery under this condition.

My thought is that it is over voltage from the Fronius - this takes a little time to shut down when the supply is removed from it. AC coupled PV inverters are basically current sources, and if there is no "voltage" source and PV exceeds the current load power, then the voltage will rise sharply, until the anti-islanding cuts it off.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Mike Dorsett commented ·

Mikes comment and what is installed ESS or PV assistant?

0 Likes 0 ·
iwan avatar image iwan Mike Dorsett commented ·
Thanks Mike and Alexandra,

It happens in the morning when the batteries went flat over night and reach wake-up voltage from solar charging. Early in the morning the load can exceed the solar charging so the batteries drop to under-voltage again.

I agree with you on the cause; probably the Fronius between Victron shutdown and anti-islanding cut-off. If I read the error-code correctly, it is _any_ voltage which can trigger it. Even if it is just 220/240volt which would be 'normal' for the system, when the Victron shuts down it expects 0volt on AC out.

Question is, can I set something in the Victron to ignore this for a short period of time or permanently? I assume this is a common setup where the Fronius has a delay (even if it is a short one) in switching power off after loss of grid?

Alexandra: PV assistant, this system is not grid connected, nothing connected to AC-in on the Victron!.

Kind regards,

Iwan

0 Likes 0 ·
levistoth avatar image levistoth iwan commented ·
Hi Iwan,

I have the same issue, did you found any solution ?

thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers