question

rafalnowacki avatar image
rafalnowacki asked

pheonix inverter 24/5000/230V max overload and inrush current

Hi Victron Community

I am looking at installing an inverter fed from a 24V DC board but need to do some checks first. I was wandering if someone can help me where to find the following information:

• What is the maximum output (AC) current and duration that the inverter can deliver during a short circuit (on the output).
  • What is the maximum size of MCB (curve C) that can be installed in the output which will co-ordinate with inverter’s internal protection
  • Can normal type AC RCBOs be used in the output or do we need to specify other (eg type A, B, F)
  • Is there any inrush current during starting? If so how large and for what duration can be expected. So we can size the protective devices.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rafal Nowacki

input current
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

You'll need to size the circuit breakers to suit the wiring and local electrical standards.
For example, 2.5mm² wiring would need 16A RCD or 16A RCBO. Latest UK standards now need type A RCD / RCBO and type AC are not allowed for new installations.

The short circuit current is not relevant if your circuit protection devices and wiring are sized correctly. In any case, the energy from the network supply would be several times more than a small inverter could supply. The inverter protection would likely kick in before the circuit protection devices, so you are covered in that case.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic