question

blackstar avatar image
blackstar asked

GX or not GX

I'm planning to install a new system with a multiplus-II 5000 but I think that power will be not enough within some time (in a 2 years time frame). I'm planning to pass to a parallel configuration in two years. I will be able to add additional PV modules and batteries (Pylontech) and use more power and also to have a level of redundancy

Considering that is possible to have only a GX device what do you think is the better option:

1. Install now a multiplus-II GX now and then install a second multiplus-II GX, disabling the GX part

2. Install now a Multiplus-II and a Cerbu GX and the install another Multiplus-II

3. Install now a Multiplus-II GX and then, in parallel a Multiplus-II NO-GX

4. Redundancy is not required, use a Multiplus 8k or 10k now and a Cerbu GX and upgrade only batteries and PV modules

Thanks!

Kind Regards!

Danilo

gx devicemultiplus in parallel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
marekp avatar image
marekp answered ·

@blackstar

Based on my experience with the parallel system I would not advise to go with options 1-3 if there is time difference between first and second unit. Especially if its more than 1 year.

If you want a parallel system then buy both units at the same time.

Also I suggest to have separate GX unit (for example Cerbo).

If you can afford it, single 10k unit would be my suggestion.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

chrichri avatar image
chrichri answered ·

Never a GX if you would like to extend later on. With external Cerbo you are much more flexible, have more options ans if you add it, a great on site display for quick reaction and monitoring.

2 |3000

Jason - UK avatar image
Jason - UK answered ·

I have a Multiplus II 5kva 48v GX unit and i do feel inwould have been better of having a non GX unit. My reason for going for the GX over the non GX was because i wanted a tidy installation but it is becoming problematic not having sufficient connection points for all the ancillary items. If i had a non GX Multiplus and a cerbo GX, i would not have some of the complicated setting up i now have with trying to make all my controls work. Its not impossible but ive had a hard time.

0e1292c1-58e7-4361-8bed-c1f8b739b187.jpeg

This photo doesnt show the final arrangement as i now have every AUx, K connection and the NC/NO relay ised with no spare capacity to add further controls.

2 |3000

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Internal GX's have limited connectivity, a cerbo is a much better idea. There is no real difference in cost between a multi/gx combo and buying them individually. Individually you have much better options for expanding down the road.

1 comment
2 |3000

I agree with that. When I was looking at both options, Non-GX with Cerbo GX was the same price as a Multiplus GX version and I'm regretting not having the additional connectivity.
0 Likes 0 ·