question

kurt-krueger avatar image
kurt-krueger asked

Can you plug a 12/500 Phoenix Inverter into a car power port?

Hi,

My 2016 Lincoln MKX has 20A fuses on the 12v power plugs. Power plugs (cigarette lighters) typically can handle 15A (12V x 15A) about 180W. Theoretically, if I don't plug more than say 125W load into the inverter it should work at least I was hoping it would. I have both an in car (less than 125W) and direct to battery (full 500W use cases).

Unfortunately, when I tried this my 20A fuse popped with out anything plugged in the inverter.

Is there any way to get the in car use case to work?

Thanks! Kurt

Phoenix Inverterinverter current draw
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Anold Pande avatar image
Anold Pande answered ·

Hi Kurt..As we have come to know about victron inverters they do not draw that much power if they are no loads connected. You can basically run that inverter from your cigar lighter but you have to be careful on how much you load. Now back to your scenario it seems to suggest you might have a dead short on your inverter.... Is this a new inverter or u have used it before.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Kurt Krueger

Check you have not wired negative and positive leads backwards. (This is a common mistake)

If those are correct then maybe the inrush current of the inverter is blowing the fuse. It may be worth running a dedicated system for it from the battery with an inline fuse of course for safety.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Phoenix Inverter product page

Phoenix Inverter Smart product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic