question

davejowen avatar image
davejowen asked

Proper generator shutdown after partial lithium charge

Hello Everyone,

I have 600 watts of solar, a MultiPlus II 2x120 in a 50 amp Class A Motorhome, Cerbo GX with Multifunction Relays Running an Onan 10k QD Generator Start/Stop, and a 400 AH Lithium battery bank. We generally need a boost from the generator in the morning around 11 am and again at around 8pm. My preference would be to bump the batteries from the 18-20% SOC in the morning to around 50%, let the solar kick in all day, and then charge them to 100% just before quiet hours.

In practice, this whole setup and theory works just fine, but my major concern is that when I do the morning charge and only go to 50%, the generator gets a hard stop while feeding in 3-4k watts of power. Ideally, I would like to tell the Cerbo/MultiPlus to stop charging and then shut the generator down 5 minutes later.

Is there any way to do this with software? I guess I could go with a multifunction relay to cut power to the inverter for 5 minutes, then initiate a shutdown command to the generator, but this seems like a super costly route to go when, in theory, this should be easy to accomplish (with the right skills) with software.

Thanks for your help on my super complicated request! ;)

-Dave

battery chargingGeneratorgen start
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
davejowen avatar image
davejowen answered ·

Found the answer about 3 minutes after posting this, but didn't find it before. I figure I would drop the link here in case someone else has an issue finding it and my post comes up first in a search.

Amazing solution!

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/41930/venus-disconnect-ac-in-1-when-generator-signal-is.html

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MultiPlus Generator FAQ

GX - Generator auto start/stop

Automatic Generator start/stop

Hybrid Generators

Virtual switch - Generator start/stop

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual