question

peter-3 avatar image
peter-3 asked

VE.Direct to USB , How many to do this ?

Hi , I have set up a Venos OS Raspberry Pi and the VRM portal , and connected my 100/20 smart controller via a ve.direct to usb , But I have just put on order a , Smart shunt , a 150/35 smart controller and a Phoenix inverter.

I know I need one for the inverter because it doesn't have any Bluetooth and needs to ve.direct cable , BUT can I make a smart network and include the 150/35 controller and the smart stunt .

Can I let the 100/20 controller pass all of the devices on smart network via the ve.direct cable to the VRM , OR do I need a cable for each and every device ?

Venus OSVE.DirectVE.Smart Network
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

As far as I know you cannot combine Smart networks and VE direct as a single network. A GX device will take input from both, but not give the integrated control

If you want all smart, look at the Victron Bluetooth dongle.

There's a smart network guide that you can download, also a data communications with Victron products white paper.

7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@peter@peter247.co.uk

You cannot combine a smart network and a gx device as @kevgermany mentioned. It is a limitation of the ve smart network. So yes you will need a cable for every device.

With a PI and a VE bus inverter you will need an mk3 to usb adaptor. If you are just getting a VE Direct one, then a VE direct to USB cable can be used. If you run out of USBs then a powered hub will work to expand the network.

0 Likes 0 ·
peter-3 avatar image peter-3 Alexandra ♦ commented ·
o.k , so every device need it's own cable to USB , 4 devices 4 ports that will be o.k , but form watching other peoples video I need 4 little extension lead because the ve.direct to usb will not fit .

I guess that answers my question "why don't you use the smart network to consolidate all the other Bluetooth devices" because you can't !!!

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ peter-3 commented ·

Weird. What PI are they using? I had three cables and had no issues with fitting them directly in. Was using the 3B.

0 Likes 0 ·
peter-3 avatar image peter-3 Alexandra ♦ commented ·

3B or not 3B that is the question !!! ( Shakespeare joke )

Yes a 3B , I can see then not fitted with the dongles getting in the way , But I will take your word for it.

0 Likes 0 ·
mjbou avatar image mjbou peter-3 commented ·

Newer VE.Direct to USB cables now have smaller USB plug, and the electronics in a box down the cable. I would guess many people use this, especially with Raspberry Pi. I have 3 cables in my Pi.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ mjbou commented ·

@peter@peter247.co.uk

You can also use a powered usb hub anyway.

0 Likes 0 ·
hjohnson avatar image hjohnson peter-3 commented ·

At that point, I'd re-evaluate the choice of going with the Pi over the Cerbo. By the time you add all those VE.Direct interfaces, a MK3 USB (for VE.Bus) and CAN interfaces if need that, then Cerbo becomes reasonably priced.

0 Likes 0 ·
pau1phi11ips avatar image
pau1phi11ips answered ·

When you have this many devices, the Cerbo GX starts to look more economically feasible. Plus you get to have another nice blue box to add to your collection.

2 |3000

coofe951 avatar image
coofe951 answered ·
so when used raspberry pi + 2x mppt over VE.direct to usb and running 3x multiplus 2 ? i   need 3x mk3-usb +USB-HUB or 1x mk3-usb and daisy chain on multiplus over VE.bus ?
2 |3000

Related Resources

VE.Direct protocol FAQ

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VE.Smart Networking Manual