question

cm0815 avatar image
cm0815 asked

Looking for the right product for my setup

Hi - I recently started to add multiple strings of PV-panels to my house. They are all using the same setup: 1x Hoymiles connected to 4x Trina Vertex panels. Currently I have two of these strings installed with 3.2kW/p combined - I’m planning to eventually add two more strings of similar configuration.

I was wondering which product from Victron will be the best fit to actually monitor incoming power vs. generated power from PV, charging a battery with the overshoot from PV and also be able to provide battery power up to 3kW/p to the house.

I’m currently looking at the Victron Energy MultiPlus II GX family.

Looking forward to your advise.

Thank you,

Christoph

battery chargingAC PV Coupling
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Jason - UK avatar image
Jason - UK answered ·

@cm0815 are you using a grid tied inverter for your PV or a are you going direct DC to DC? I have a Multiplus 2 GX with a grid tied inverter on AC out1 currently with no actual way to measure the PC generation from within the VRM portal or via the unit itself but I have just received my Victron 40A current sensor today which will be going on the PV feed to allow me to measure the pv generation and also provide the PV output graphic on the VRM portal separately from the current combined load on the AC out side. If you are going direct DC to DC, then if you used a Victron MPPT, you should be able to see the PV input to the batteries / inverter.whatsapp-image-2022-05-04-at-112145-am-1.jpeg

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

cotje avatar image
cotje answered ·

Hi Chris, I think you're looking in the right direction. A Multiplus2 with GX device and MPPT's would do the job. I opted for the MP2-5000/48/70, Cerbo(GX) and MPPT 450/100 (supports two strings). Working very well after some configuration changes on 16 LifePo4 EVE 280ah cells (48V).

Hope this helps!

2 |3000

cm0815 avatar image
cm0815 answered ·

Jason,

thanks for your reply - all strings terminate into AC. I hope to use the Victron device to measure the input from all strings vs. the power currently used. Based on that it should be smart enough to put the overshoot to the battery or the other way around.

Is this scenario possible with this device?

Thanks,

Christoph

2 |3000

cm0815 avatar image
cm0815 answered ·

Cotje,

thanks for your answer - I’m wondering if I need the MPPT at all since I’m only feeding AC coming from the micro inverters into the Victron.

Cheers,

Christoph

2 |3000