question

Jason - UK avatar image
Jason - UK asked

Failed firmware update & how to fix?

So after spending the last 24h trying to work out why my ESS is not working, I have come to the conclusion that the firmware update filed. Does any one have a guide on ho to start again with a firm ware update? I did find one guide but it requires me to download my VE config file and load it into the VE Bus System configurator which doesn't work as the file types are not correct for VE Bus System config.

ESSVRMfirmware update
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Jason - UK avatar image
Jason - UK answered ·
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Jason

How do you want to do the update on the inverter? I am assuming you have a VEbus device here.

Over vrm or locally with an Mk3.

9 comments
2 |3000

Jason - UK avatar image Jason - UK commented ·
Over VRM. I have been using VRM for everything, it keeps the physical install tidy.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Jason - UK commented ·

@Jason

The manual for the inverter update over the vrm is here.

What part failed? The firmware update or the config file upload?

0 Likes 0 ·
Jason - UK avatar image Jason - UK Alexandra ♦ commented ·
I think the config file upload as there system is not operating any different after config upload.
0 Likes 0 ·
What do I do if I dont have the rvms file any longer?
0 Likes 0 ·

@Jason

You can redownload the config to check it.

Go to the devices list, remote ve configure, just above the firmware update option

0 Likes 0 ·
@Alexandra I am still having issues. As far as I can tell, I need the .rvms file to configure in VE Bus System Config, but I do not have the .rvms file. The only file I seem able to download is the .rvse file which I can only open in VE Configurator 3. Any help would be appreciated here as I can not find a way past this, even with spending all day readying up on firmware update and how to correct a failed firmware update.
0 Likes 0 ·

@Jason

You can reprogram from scratch using the remote configure, unless you have 3 phase or split or one of the more complex systems.

Download the remote file, change settings. Save it. Then upload the file to the device. I have done quite a few like this.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Alexandra ♦ commented ·

All you need to know are your battery capacity settings, and bulk and float settings.

The run the ess assistant.

If you have compatible batteries there will be a manual for them.on the victron site.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @Alexandra I have downloaded the rvsc file from the VRM portal, checked within VE configure 3 and uploaded via the VTM portal several times. The ESS assistant has been included every time with each upload. I feel there is a setting locked from when I did the firmware update that I can not access.

0 Likes 0 ·