question

finn avatar image
finn asked

Ignition protected What does this mean?

Orion IP67 24/12-20 DC-DC converter, Non-isolated, what does it mean when it says it is ignition protected, does this mean when its hooked up to my Vehicles starting system that it is not affected by the battery drain (voltage drop) when I'm starting my car?

I hope my ? makes sense

Cheers

orion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

Hello @Finn , "Igniton protected" by my understanding is that the device can operate in an explosive gas environment without causing the explosive gas to ignite.

An ignition protected alternator for instance can be operated in a petrol engine compartment without fear that the brush sparks will ignite any petrol fumes that may have developed in the engine compartment.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

owenparker avatar image
owenparker answered ·

I thought this meant that you could use the ignition protect port to ensure the charger did not draw from the starter battery unless the ignition was on??

2 comments
2 |3000

owenparker avatar image owenparker Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Since I read that yesterday, and it seemed to make sense, I did some further research and found a lot more info on the remote switch port on the dc-to-dc charger and now fully understand how that works and what it is for. Thanks for setting the record straight for those that may follow...
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources