question

Christian Ide avatar image
Christian Ide asked

Smart BMS 12/200: ONLY Alternator shut off possible?

I have installed a Smart BMS 12/200 with a Smart Lifepo4 200 AH and a starter Battery (Victron AGM). All charging (solar, power, alternator) goes directly to the AGM-Starter battery and then connected to the LifePo4 via the smart BmS 12/200

I expected that I can switch off ONLY the „alternator“ (so I can switch off all loading currents coming from via the starter battery) with VictronConnect or with the „Remote“ switch in the Smart BMS.

In the „Demo“ version of the Smart BMS 12/100 you have exactly these two options: a) switch off the alternator or b) switch off the whole system.

In the smart BMS 12/200 you have only the options: a) switch off alternator AND system+ or b) switch off all.

I can’t see the difference with these two options and I want to switch off ONLY the charging (via alternator/Starter battery), but not the whole system/the smart battery via system+

Any ideas? Is that a mistake in my system/in the BMS? Or did Victron changed some options from Smart BMS 12/100 to the 12/200?

Unfortunately the description for the Smart BMS 12/200 is not clear:

„Der ferngesteuerte Ein/Aus-Eingang steuert das Laden über den Wechselstromgenerator. Im ausgeschalteten Zustand ist das Laden über den Wechselstromgenerator deaktiviert. Die BMS-Funktionalität bleibt jedoch aktiv, sodass alle Lasten und Ladegeräte unabhängig vom Zustand des ferngesteuerten Eingangs weiterarbeiten können.“

BMS
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

maddin avatar image maddin commented ·

The description from datasheet in english below:

In App : its only possible , alternator AND system+ ; off; as Christian reported

May be someone of the Victron Staff have a explanation ??

1652169815651.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1652169815651.png (197.0 KiB)
3 Answers
philiplyra avatar image
philiplyra answered ·

I have the same problem and reported it to my supplier on June 26 2022. They will investigate.

As a workaround, in the App you can adjust the limit at which the BMS cuts off charging. If you set this to a low value, it will cut off charging though the alternator. But since it is in the App it is a manual intervention and not suited for automated charge management.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

philiplyra avatar image
philiplyra answered ·

Today, after almost 3 months, Stroomwinkel has confirmed that this is a problem indeed and has asked Victron for a resolution. Let's see when they will have corrected this.

2 |3000

philiplyra avatar image
philiplyra answered ·

Since beginning of this month, Victron has solved this problem (release v5.90). Software works now as specified in product manual and data sheet.

2 |3000