question

slowbutsure avatar image
slowbutsure asked

Smartshunt discrepancy

I have just installed the Smart Shunt and am getting some different readings. The shunt says 12.6v, amp meter 12.5v, and I have an Automatic transfer switch that says 12.4v! All connected directly to the battery. It does matter as I have to set the transfer switch low voltage at which it switches over to mains power. Its normally set at 12.2v but it will transfer too soon if the shunt is correct.

Any help appreciated, thanks,

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

Per the other forum... :)

Unfortunately, until you know which device is accurate via a calibration or correlation, you can't know. Absent other factors, I look to the most expensive device and/or reputation to likely be the more accurate.

Given that "I have just installed a Victron Smart Shunt," the shunt defaulted to 100% when energized. This does not mean the battery was fully charged. It means when the shunt loses power and is energized, it defaults to 100% unless you change the settings. It won't accurately reflect SoC until it the battery voltage and charge current meets the fully charged criteria you programmed.

You can force a manual SoC in the settings. I would force it to 70% to give something more realistic if these are lead-acid batteries.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.