question

zane-jackson avatar image
zane-jackson asked

bmv-712 smart battery monitor won’t update (Bt200)

Like others the battery monitor was working fine until i tried using the Bluetooth function. Now it’s stuck on the bt200 error code screen and all buttons are unresponsive. I’ve tried several time deleting the Bluetooth device, the app, tried re installing the update but still no progress. It gets about as far as 18% and the restarts back to 3%. The current version is oddly saying: None

I have no troubles connecting to it but it simply wont update.

I have also tried updating with multiple ipads and even my laptop. Still the same result.

I have also unplugged the device from its power source multiple times, sometimes up to an hour hoping it would reset it but every time I plug it back in it reads the Bt200 error code

fa6d1c3c-5d06-4378-9145-9cfae81ddfe4.png

BMV Battery Monitorfirmware updateerror
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
mkuiken avatar image
mkuiken answered ·

Hi @Zane Jackson

Looks like the update process gets interrupted for some reason, resulting in incomplete firmware in your bmv712. The notification "BT200" indicates this state.

Can you try making a service report? If you have never done this before please check https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VictronConnect_Manual/en/troubleshooting.html?utm_source=offline&utm_medium=qr&utm_campaign=qr%20code%20products#UUID-98bc9211-902b-01a0-96b9-1f314c4d63c5

Hopefully this service report tells us something about the reason why the update process is interrupted.

One last question: do you remember what the version of the bmv712 was before the update was started? v4.0x???

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mkuiken avatar image
mkuiken answered ·

hi @Zane Jackson

Thanks for the report. I can see the update failing repeatedly but unfortunately it's not completely clear why this is happening. My guess would be a hardware failure but based on this report I can't be 100% sure.

You could try to do a wired update in case you haven't tried that, for which you'll need a "VE.Direct to USB" cable. However, in case the problem is indeed a hardware failure then I don't expect a wired update to work either. I then advice you to get in contact with your supplier/distributor.

One more question: have you ever updated the firmware of this bmv in the past (I mean the bmv v4.0x firmware; not the Bluetooth interface v2.xx firmware)?

2 |3000

mkuiken avatar image
mkuiken answered ·

The software update process itself is indeed fail safe. But in this case it seems like the hardware is failing and unfortunately the software is not able to fix such failing hardware.

Looking at the service report you sent it seems your device is still within its 5 year warranty period. If you go to https://professional.victronenergy.com/support/?is_next=www.victronenergy.com you can create a service request to find the distributer who sold this bmv which you can then contact to get your bmv replaced.

1 comment
2 |3000

zane-jackson avatar image zane-jackson commented ·
Thank you so much for your help. Hopefully they’ll be able to issue me a replacement!
0 Likes 0 ·
zane-jackson answered ·

@mkuiken

VictronConnect_report.log

Here is the service report file. And unfortunately I don't know what version it was on prior to trying to update it.

2 |3000

zane-jackson answered ·

I don’t have that cable unfortunately. And I also don’t have a way to contact the supplier as I bought my van used and don’t have that information or proof of purchase. I see all over it says it’s impossible to ruin a device due to a software update so this is very unfortunate.

2 |3000

zane-jackson answered ·

Also I’ve read so many others that seemed to have the same issue and eventually it worked for them. Why isn’t that the case with mine you think?

2 |3000