question

solar-is-my-friend avatar image
solar-is-my-friend asked

Victron Easysolar 48/5000 trips earth leakage when main power is restored

Hi, I have just recently joined the community of sun loving energy seekers by getting a Victron EasySolar 48/5000 system with solar panels and pylontech batteries installed by a reputable installer.

The system is working extremely well but being based in South Africa we currently get a lot of power cuts and one thing I am noticing is that Earth Leakage circuit breaker is tripping whenever our main power is restored from the grid after a power cut. We have never had issues with Earth leakage problems before and I tested the system by manually switching power off to the inverter from the mains and then switching it back on (It trips the breaker) I did this a couple of times and it tripped nearly every single time.

I then bypassed the inverter setup via the changeover switch and simulated a "power failure" from the mains and switched it back on again and the Earth leakage did not trip. I did this about 4 times and not once did the earth leakage trip, so basically it means that for some reason the Victron is tripping the breaker

I have contacted my installer and electrician but I am still waiting for a response from them with regards to this. so I thought I would ask you friendly folks on this forum if anybody may know why the system is doing this?

Thank you

EasySolar All-in-Onevictron products
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

To my knowledge the RCD should be on the AC out of the inverter., Not connected to the AC-In as the inverters have a inbuilt neutral to earth relay inbuilt (can be disabled) and this would trip it.

I am not a qualified electrician so I maybe wrong here.

so move the inverter input to before that RCD and put another RCD on the output of the inverter

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

That Easy has a 63A RCD onboard, and if default settings are unchanged, will make it's own MEN link when grid is down, and it's box should be earthed to deal with that. Downstream there should be no further MEN link, no need for a further RCD, and maybe not even a switchboard.

But of course if you have a parallel system available, then this situation mightn't suit, and the sparky may not even be aware of the second MEN he's just installed. It can be turned off, but the implications of doing that should be clearly understood and dealt with.

The installer/electrician should be aware of this, but I've seen those who think plug'n'play'n'pingoff is the way to roll..

2 |3000

et1 avatar image
et1 answered ·

Hi, I have exactly the same problem, but with 6 Multiplus II spread over 3 phases, 2 per phase. Also tripping RCD in "Essential DB" only when grid power is restored.

Please advise

2 |3000

Related Resources

EasySolar 1600 product page

EasySolar-II GX 3000 & 5000 product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic