question

metalslinger5 avatar image
metalslinger5 asked

Smart Shunt mis-information?

I have a 24v 50ah lithium battery installed on my bass boat. The only device connected to this battery is a Lowrance Ghost trolling motor and a Victron smart shunt. I installed the shunt according to the battery manufacturers recommendations as well as the settings on the shunt app. Battery fully charged ( according to the 24v 20amp charger) SOC synched to 100% after charge.

I fished all day last Saturday, and when I was done fishing, with the trolling motor powered on but not running, SOC was at 67%. Drove home that day, did not charge battery. The next morning I was going charge the battery and check the smart shunt SOC via the app, to my surprise, the app indicated the battery was at 97% SOC?

I plugged in the charger, light on charger indicates red, when charging, and green when battery is charged. The indicator light turned green after less than an hour of charging.

My question is, how did the SOC go from 67% to 97% without connecting to the charger?

Is there a setting on the app that is incorrect?

Any help would be appreciated.

SmartShunt
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
Can you please add a screenshot of the VictronConnect settings of the shunt?
0 Likes 0 ·
metalslinger5 avatar image metalslinger5 Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

settings page from app posted below. thank you

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
metalslinger5 answered ·

shunt.jpg

CURRENT SETTINGS

shunt.jpg (234.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

metalslinger5 answered ·

bump to the top, help?

2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @MetalSlinger5

With those settings the shunt will sync to 100% if the battery is >26.0V and at the same time charge current is <2 Amps (4% of 50Ah), over a 3 minute detection time.

You could look at maybe lifting the Charged Voltage a little. With Li's this might be a little tricky. You still want it to sync when full, but not prematurely.

If the battery is disconnected it will do the same unless you untick the 'BSS' slider.

2 comments
2 |3000

metalslinger5 avatar image metalslinger5 commented ·

What settings would you suggest? seems pointless to have the shunt if the information is not accurate or relevant?

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ metalslinger5 commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·