question

simowilso avatar image
simowilso asked

Has anyone verified if the 500A smart shunt and the Lorawan adapter can work together?

Hi,

I found similar posts asking this question but no definitive answer. Some say it *should* work, there are other posts saying it will definitely not work. Has anyone verified if it works or not?

Thanks,

/Simon

SmartShuntLoRaWAN
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

It's an unfortunate incompatibility due to memory space addressing, but because the LoRaWan units are unable to update the firmware, it cannot be corrected.

You are correct that the physical shunt is the same, but the interface has differences and those were not accounted for in the design of the LoRaWan module, it was only designed to work with existing other products at the time.

It's bad luck that it doesn't work.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @simowilso,

The definitive answer is that the LoRaWan module is NOT compatible with the SmartShunt series. I have updated the LoRaWan manual to reflect this.

2 |3000

simowilso avatar image
simowilso answered ·

Thanks for the quick response. That's a pity :(
I'm curious why, I understood the shunt is the same as the one used with eg the BMV 712, wish I'd purchased one of those now.

2 |3000

fillys6 avatar image
fillys6 answered ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager), we have a SmartShunt AND a BMV 712 (they are connected to each other via the RJ12). In this design, could the LoRaWan module be used and connect to the BMV? Thank you.

4 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Fillys6,

I'm sorry to say I cannot make sense out of what you're asking here. There is no RJ12 connection port on the SmartShunt so I don't understand how it could be connected to a BMV712.

Perhaps you could take a photo?

0 Likes 0 ·
fillys6 avatar image fillys6 Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

I don't have the system in front of me, going from memory. But looking at the manual, my design looks exactly like 3.5 (https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/BMV-712_Smart/en/installation.html). #5 says to connect them together with the RJ12. If this is mysetup, could I add the LoRaWan module to the BMV? Thank you.

0 Likes 0 ·
cybermaus avatar image cybermaus fillys6 commented ·
Is it possible you confuse the product "SmartShunt" with the fact the BMV-712 is a 2-part product: a display, and an included remote shunt, which by itself looks a little like a smart-shunt, but is just a remote element of the BMV product.
1 Like 1 ·
fillys6 avatar image fillys6 cybermaus commented ·

@cybermaus you might be right, here is a picture of my shunt and a screenshot from the Victron app. Does this mean it's not a "smart" shunt, and therefor the LoRaWan module would work with the BMV? image.jpg screenshot-20231104-063908.png

0 Likes 0 ·
cybermaus avatar image
cybermaus answered ·

This is indeed *not* the product "SmartShunt", but merely the shunt included with the BMV product. Mind you, the word "merely" is a bit false, as the BMV can do everything the SmartShunt can, and more.

Whether it can next be used with the LoRaWan module... well, I can only read the earlier messages as well, but that is how I would interpret them, yes.

2 |3000

Related Resources