question

jschoech avatar image
jschoech asked

Can SmartShunt 500A handle Kohler 4ESZ generator starter

My boat does not have a separate generator battery. The Kohler 4ESZ generator is connected to the house battery using 2/0 cables. My question is, should I leave the generator ground cable hooked directly to the house battery or can I connect it with the SmartShunt system loads? Can the SmartShunt 500A handle the current draw from the generator starter?

The Windlass is also hooked to the house battery. Is it okay to hook the Windlass to the system loads?

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

500A should be more than enough for a typical starter motor surge, and even a 500A shunt can tolerate substantial over-current for very brief periods. The key is to not operate it at more than 300-400A continuous.

If the shunt is allowed to operate at high current to the point that it heats, then it's response may change such that it is no longer accurate.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.