question

jamierobinson avatar image
jamierobinson asked

Carlo Gavazzi EM24 with CTs discontinued? What to use instead?

I am installing a 100A 3 phase ESS system and have spoke to Carlo Gavazzi regarding the supply of an EM24 with CT's

They say this meter has been discontinued but that Victron have been testing the EM530 or the EM330.

Have either of these meters been approved by Victron for use in an ESS system? Are there any other types available?

Regards

Jamie

Energy Meter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
janieronen avatar image
janieronen answered ·

The local suppliers told that new models can be retrofitted to old systems and are capable to provide the same information as Modbus. I like to also get confirmation from VE before purchase.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Bartłomiej Choroszczyński avatar image
Bartłomiej Choroszczyński answered ·

I've been desperately looking for this smart meter for several weeks now. Everywhere I ask I get information about Carlo Gavazzi EM24DINAV53DISX end of life. Prices went insane (>$800). It is a bit frivolous on the part of the manufacturer that it eliminates the only supported solution on the market. @jamierobinson cay You share some more technical information about the solution You are talking about?

2 |3000

jamierobinson avatar image
jamierobinson answered ·

Hi Bartlomiej.

I got an EM24 meter here including the CT's https://www.metermarket.co.uk/

Not too much money and really good technical help with the rather complicated set up. Could not recommend them highly enough. As you say, there are not many of EM24 meters around these days. It would be great if Victron could recommend a different one. There are many other 3 phase Modbus meters around. How about it Victron??? If you can get away with only 63A per phase, I would recommend the ET340. It is self powered as well making installation simpler.

Best of luck with it and drop me a line if you need help with setting it up if you do find one. The installation manual is rubbish!!

Jamie

2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The EM530 and EM540 will be supported at Venus OS 2.90 which is currently in beta testing.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/140258/venus-os-v29014-available-for-testing.html

2 |3000

raymiller avatar image
raymiller answered ·

Hi Matthias, I currently use an ET340 and I can only conclude it is faulty and needs to be replaced.

Would you believe that the accumulated kWh readings "glitch" backwards on some of the phases a couple of kWhs at a time a couple of times per month?

kWh

I currently have a Cerbo with two ET340s on the RS485 bus.

Question: If I replace the faulty ET340 with a EM540. Will the two units work on the same RS485 bus with the current update time?

2 |3000

Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image
Warwick Bruce Chapman answered ·

Victron has confirmed that the unit supported is EM330DINAV53HS1X27

Note “27” at end

Got confirmation from Carlo Gavazzi, the suffix 27 on the part code means :

- Same communication protocol ( measured variables in reading mode in the same registers)
- 0.001 kWh resolution via Modbus RTU
- 3 DIN module
- touch key user interface
- 1 digital input (not for pulse counting)

I assume this means this unit has been designed specifically for Victron and that others will not work.

I’m still trying to find out if other EM330’s can be used in the meantime.

2 |3000

Related Resources