question

t3z-gb avatar image
t3z-gb asked

Charging a Victron 160ah smart lithium.

Hello everyone.

As a complete new comer to the field of camper vans and off grid power I’m looking for advice.

My setup as follows.

1x 160ah smart lithium, smallBMS, Smart Orion 12/12/30, 2000va Smart inverter.

The problem I’m having is keeping the battery charged I drive a new crafter van with a euro 6 alternator / ECU controlled

The charging usually starts at full 29.9ah but settles down within 10 min to just on 25ah, unfortunately if I deplete it down to 50% I can’t seem to get it back up even with a couple hours driving a day, so eventually it’s fully depleted

Iv been thinking about adding a second 160ah but this is going to make the situation worse, even if I add a second DC Converter, can someone please offer advice without adding solar panels as iv no space for that.

Perhaps a Smart BMS CLS12/100 but not sure if that will work with my alternator.

My loads are cooking with induction, electric kettle etc..

Thank you

battery chargingorion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

34 Answers
tom-dv avatar image
tom-dv answered ·

Dear all, i believe, like @kevgermany says, there are some misunderstandings here.

I agree that the initall problem of @T3Z-GB has nothing to do with the battery temperature. It was my mistake to wright down stuff about battery temperature related problems. To solve @T3Z-GB problem a ventilator behind the orion is a good start. I have recently installed ventilators behind my two orions and now they will stay at 30A charging current for a much longer time. The second solution, because t3z-gb does not have solar, is adding a second 30A orion. (i have two 30A orions and no solar for a 200Ah victron battery)

However, i would like to explain that battery temperature really has an effect on the charging mode off the orion. Like i said before, with only 1 orion there is only a 'problem' with very low (below approx 8°C) battery temperatures. With 2 orion's however there actually is a problem. All off you are right when you say that the orion will not communicate with the battery. You are also right about the fact that the orion change the charging modes based on voltage. Exactly that last thing is the problem. With a internal battery temperature below 20°C the lithium chemistry will not allow much current, as a result the voltage measured by the orion will go up and the orion thinks that the battery is full because there is no other communication between the battery and the orion, therefore it will go in to absorption to fast. (20°C is not an exact number, things will change directly proportional with the internal temperature.) When i did the test with my multiplus the current also dropped but because there is a communication between the multiplus and the battery via the VE.bus BMS the multiplus will not increase the voltage like the orion does and the therefore the multiplus will stay in bulk.

I have tested this extensively, also together with my supplier/installer which is a very reputable dealer in Belgium. We came to the conclusion that battery temperature has a big impact on the charging off a lithium battery, that is simply the chemistry of lithium. We asked other users with a similar setup to do the same test, all with the same results.

@kevgermany, your comparison with charging a lead acid battery @ -7°C is irrelevant because lead acid is a complete different chemistry. I also wont to add that in most cases the outside temperature has no influence because most of the users have there battery's inside in the heated compartment which result that the battery is always at a good (higher) temperature. There is a reason why victron will not allow any charge when battery temperature is below 5°C, i also advise to not lower that limit via the victron app because warranty will expire in that case. (told by my dealer, that this is the first thing they will check out when they have a battery coming in for warranty.)

Best regards, Tom

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

takamine avatar image
takamine answered ·

I think you better install a second Orion instead of a second battery. You retain the full power of the Orion if the battery is above 20°C and the Orion does not get warmer than 25°C. You can place a fan to keep the Orion cool. Did you use 16mm2 cables for the Orion and if you place a second one, it must also have a separate 16mm2 cable. Your alternator must be able to supply at least 2 times the total power of the Orions. If an Orion supplies 30A, it takes 34A from your alternator.

1 comment
2 |3000

t3z-gb avatar image t3z-gb commented ·

I have 2x16mm2 cables run from from to back over 5m length. The second was just in case. Looks like I might need to insta the 2nd. I have a factory standard 180ah smart alternator. So should be okay. There is no heat problem. It does not run hot. Just slightly warm.

0 Likes 0 ·
takamine avatar image
takamine answered ·

Then checkout battery temp (on the app) when you're charging with a soc that normally gives bulkfase ... under 20°C the Orion goes after 2 minutes in absorption (checkout on the app) and power drop down ...

6 comments
2 |3000

@Takamine@T3Z-GB

There is no such feature that makes the Orion DC-DC charger switch from bulk to absorption depending on SoC or temperature.

The charger goes into absorption when the absorption voltage set with VictronConnect is reached.

0 Likes 0 ·
t3z-gb avatar image t3z-gb Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Thanks Stefanie,

Do you have a recommendation for charging the 160ah smart lithium in a reasonable amount of time. I do intend to add a second within a couple weeks and am afraid the situation will just get worse. Will a second Orion make much of a difference? And after the second addition what then?

0 Likes 0 ·
takamine avatar image takamine Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Theoretically you are right, but in practice it is slightly different. The Orion goes into absorption but the current drops to 25A and stays there because normally the current continues to drop to the float. I suggest that topicstarter does the test with a battery above 20°C and you will see that his problem is solved. What is the remedy ? battery heating or just learn to live with it...

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ takamine commented ·
Sorry, this is not correct. The charge current does not drop because of battery temperature below 25°C. There is no temperature compensation for lithium batteries, unless you have mistakenly chosen a charge profile which belongs to lead acid batteries.
0 Likes 0 ·
takamine avatar image takamine Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

@Stefanie ... If you read this site you will notice that there are quite a few problems with the Orion. My opinion is that there is indeed no temperature compensation incorporated in the Orion electronics. But I do think (and yes I write "think" because I'm not an engineer) that the internal electronics of the lithium battery still limit the charging current below 20°C (not 25 degrees as you wrote) and therefore the Orion is misled into absorption. Otherwise I wouldn't know how this situation arises. Maybe someone from the staff can explain this to clarify this problem that btw a friend of mine also has with his Orions?

0 Likes 0 ·

@Takamine thanks for your replies. Much appreciated. There does seem to have some logic to your post as my battery is at 17°C and drops from 29ah charge down to 25ah ish and stays there for the duration of my journey. Although at 25ah ish it does not slide into absorbing mode. I’m based in Wales, am full time in the van, when I say Crafter van I mean Grand California 600. I literally have no room for additional solar on the roof. I will however re rout the factory 104wh pannel to the victron battery. It might help a little.

The weather is warming uk so fingers crossed. I’ll heat the car tonight and try when above 20°C

0 Likes 0 ·
t3z-gb avatar image
t3z-gb answered ·

Thanks for your reply. The temp is under 20°c how do I prevent it from going into absorption mode? When I look at the graph and first screen it says bulk.

Lastly the cable should be okay, it’s what Victron recommend in the manual. I’ll try add some pics. The iPhone web portal isn’t that good.

2 |3000

Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@T3Z-GB

Have you considered adding solar to your Crafter? If that's an option, it certainly will help to charge your battery, dependent on space you have on the roof top.

Adding another Orion-Tr Smart in parallel is also a good idea and will double your charge current, which theoretically could charge a single 160Ah lithium within 3 hours from zero to full. Should be ok also if you have a 2nd battery in parallel for 320Ah.

If shore power charging from AC is an option, take a look at either a MultiPlus inverter/charger in the same power range like your Phoenix Smart Inverter or a Phoenix Smart Charger IP43 with 50A.

All of the above can be mixed up together and run simultaneously to boost your charge power.

1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks again for your reply Stefanie, the only option for me is the additional Orion. Will add that and hopefully no further problems.

1 Like 1 ·
takamine avatar image
takamine answered ·

I have the same 160Ah Victron battery as you and 2 Orions 12/12/30 isolated with each a duo cable of 16mm2 and I have the same problem. If my battery is above 20°C, everything works correctly and I charge continuously with 60A. Under 20°C is continuously 10A less ...

2 |3000

takamine avatar image
takamine answered ·

@T3Z-GB , in wich country you travel with your camper, whats the outsite temp ?

I'm Belgian and for the moment I travel with my camper in the south of France and everything works fine. When I'm in Belgium in wintertime it's bingo ... less charging !

2 |3000

takamine avatar image
takamine answered ·

@T3Z-GB, I have also experienced when the engine stop detection of the Orion is switched off in the app and instead the remote is used with the ignition switch, the charging current is also slightly higher. But again, once the Orion itself rises above 25°C, the current drops to 28.xxA instead of 30A. This is also stated on the data sheet.

2 |3000

takamine avatar image
takamine answered ·

Here my settings for the Orions ...

Function charger/input voltage lock 10.0V-10.1 V/User defined/absorption 14.20V/Float 13.50V/max Bulktime 10h0m/re-bulk offset 0.10V/Fixed absorption time 1h0m/Motorstopdetection off, remote is used for on-off

2 |3000

t3z-gb avatar image
t3z-gb answered ·

@Takamine I think you are 100% right with the temp Issues, just re read the manual and it says at over 25°C it can produce 430wh so there most likely is issues under 20°C.

Thanks for the settings, iv adjusted mine along with my expectations during the colder months.

Thanks for the help @Takamine

2 |3000

t3z-gb avatar image
t3z-gb answered ·

@Takamine looks like another problem , input voltage 14.6 output voltage 13.4 while charging at 310w battery temp 15°C I though the lithium needed a higher voltage?

2 |3000

takamine avatar image
takamine answered ·

Wat is the Soc of the battery. And yes, under the 20°C means problems

2 |3000

t3z-gb avatar image
t3z-gb answered ·

@Takamine it’s at 15% now

2 |3000

t3z-gb avatar image
t3z-gb answered ·

19.8 amps at 264wh now. Can’t be right

2 |3000

takamine avatar image
takamine answered ·

The charge voltage in the bulkfase is not so important, the current is more important. 13.4V is oke, 310W is 23.13A. If the battery was above the 20 degrees it probably works perfect and give you the current from 360W - 400W depending on the temperatur of the Orion.

2 |3000

t3z-gb avatar image
t3z-gb answered ·

Okay understand now. Thanks again for all your help.

2 |3000

takamine avatar image
takamine answered ·

Probably your Orion is in absorption on the app, but that is'nt correct ! Otherwise the current must increase very faster to 8A to 9A

2 |3000

takamine avatar image
takamine answered ·

I think, make first a test with a battery above 20 degrees before you change anything

2 |3000

t3z-gb avatar image
t3z-gb answered ·

Will do, by the way how do you switch off both Orions from your BMS in case of over current? Will the one cable from the BMS switch off both on the H terminal if I join the wires ? Not that I have that problem at the moment.

2 |3000

Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

Can someone share some VictronConnect screen images or screen recordings when the Smart Orion is believed to not be charging at full power. Along with a screen image of the settings?

1 comment
2 |3000

@Mark Hello Mark,

I unfortunately the iPhone does not allow upload of images to this website. Will try with the iPad a little later today and share. Hopefully that works.

0 Likes 0 ·
takamine avatar image
takamine answered ·

@T3Z-GB , I use a SmallBms. There are two 100A Smart Battery Protects. One in the load and one in the consumption, both are controlled by the SmallBms

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Let's get back to basics.

The charger is a 360W unit specified as 30A continuous at nominal output voltage (12V).

360W at absorption voltage of 14.2V is very close to 25A.

The initial 30A current is the in built ability to supply more than the rated value for short periods.

The charger is performing correctly according to specifications. As @Stefanie has said repeatedly, temperature has NOTHING to do with this situation. It's simply the load is higher than the charger can replenish.

@T3Z-GB suggest you do a rough electrical audit. Based on power consumed. My gut feel is that a second Orion will, as @Stefanie said, be the correct answer. Base charger capacity on usage and desired recharge time, bearing in mind alternator capacity. If you wish to add a second battery for extended capacity, no issues, but expect longer charge times.

I'm going to accept this answer to get it to the top so others reading the thread aren't mislead by the incorrect temperature comments.

2 comments
2 |3000

takamine avatar image takamine commented ·

@kevgermany ... Of course you have to subtract the consumption from your charge when you look at your battery monitor, that's logical. As I wrote before, theoretically what you write is correct but practice shows different things ... Everyone has their own thoughts of course and with all due respect. I'll leave it at this because I know the solution to this problem. I hope that topic starter something can do with my practical experience that I gave him ...

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ takamine commented ·
Being blunt. We really appreciate you trying to help. But in this case you are wrong and in pushing your misinterpretations you're misleading many people. Try reading the specifications in the manual and datasheet.

0 Likes 0 ·
t3z-gb avatar image
t3z-gb answered ·

@kevgermany

Thanks for clarifying, can I assume you are saying I need to set the absorption voltage from 13.5 to 14.2?

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
14.2 was in one of your posts. But use the value from the manufacturer.
0 Likes 0 ·
t3z-gb avatar image
t3z-gb answered ·

Apologies it is set to 14.2 so I don’t understand then why it’s charging at absorption but indicating Bulk charge? Whilst the output from the Orion is 13.5v ?

1 comment
2 |3000

Bulk means push as much current into the battery as you can. Initial voltage on a discharged battery will be well below absorption voltage. During this phase the battery controls voltage seen by the charger. As the battery charges the voltage rises until it reaches the absorption voltage. Charger sees this and holds this Voltage constant until current drops to what's called tail current. At this point it lowers voltage to float, to maintain battery fully charged.
0 Likes 0 ·
t3z-gb avatar image
t3z-gb answered ·

Fantastic. Great explanation thank you. I think this is resolved now.

2 |3000

takamine avatar image
takamine answered ·

@kevgermany ... I have one more question. How do you explain that with a SoC of 50%, a consumption of 0.4A, a 160Ah Lithium battery temperature of less than 20°C that my two Orions 12/12/30 after approximately 2 minutes of charging switch into absorption charge, showed bij the app. But you don't see the current drop and the charging voltage is only 13.80V en don't rise. Above a battery temperature of 20°C this does not happen and I also see a lower charging voltage of 13.70V that rise at that time. When the absorption charge is reached, you will see 14.20V and the current drop until Float !

1 comment
2 |3000

This is not the place to discuss issues with your installation.
0 Likes 0 ·
t3z-gb avatar image
t3z-gb answered ·

What would be the best way to charge if using 2 of those batteries.

2 |3000

t3z-gb avatar image
t3z-gb answered ·

@Takamine Today has been an interesting day. The car has been closed up for a few hours raising the internal temperature of the battery to 22°C and what do you know. Now I have full 29ah charge.

Sorry @kevgermany while all your information appeared to be sound I cannot agree that temperature has nothing to do with it.

As much as I love Victron products and will always purchase them. While there may not be any temperature sensors etc. it certainly does works better when warm.

Please may I also ask you from respect to the forum and myself do not just accept your answer as correct, and post, on my Q&A. While you may have the power to do it, and your theory may be correct, at the end of the day no matter what you affiliation and reward, you should never self accept your answer as the ultimate truth and correct answer

Thanks and appreciate everyone’s help with this

4 comments
2 |3000

@T3Z-GB

How would you justify a temperature limit on the part of the Orion-Tr Smart if the device has no communication going on with the battery?

Only the battery knows about it's temperature. The temperature is not communicated to any Victron device, unless you speak of an external temperature sensor for example connected to a BMV or a GX device.

FWIW, if @kevgermany wouldn't have accepted his correct answer himself, I would have. Anyone who believes an answer is appropriate and correct can do so, including you.

0 Likes 0 ·
t3z-gb avatar image t3z-gb Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

I don’t need to justify anything. This is just my finding as with many other people on this forum. It just works better when warmer. Same as your petrol car, produces more power on a cold frosty morning then when hot, because the air is denser and produces a higher compression.

The thing is loads of people on this forum actually use the products in their day to day lives and notice these things and need help with various problems, that’s why the forum exists, while everyone is correct on here, and technically there is nothing wrong with the device. It Just works better when warm.

Now I don’t see the point of back and forth, the matter is resolved. End.

0 Likes 0 ·
tom-dv avatar image tom-dv Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi Stefanie, I experience exact the same problem. I have a 200Ah victron battery and 2 30A Orion's. When battery temperature is below 20°C (approximately) and I try to charge with 2 Orion's they wil go in absorption after 2 minutes and the current will reduce. Even with 40% SOC. Staying in bulk or going in to absorbtion is voltage based. With lower battery temperatures the output voltage of the Orion's goes strait up to 14,2V and therefore they wil go in absorption. As you say the Orion will not communicate with the battery, it is the battery that wil not accept the current with colder battery temperature, as result the Orion believes the battery is near full (due to the higher voltage) and wil go in to absorbtion. When charging with only 1 Orion the battery temperature may be a little lower for everything to work perfect. When I preheat the battery to 25°C and start charging with 2 Orion's they work perfect. With 55% SOC at the start they will stay both at about 29-30A and bulk mode during the first hour. This winter I tested this multiple times with always the same conclusion.

I have also tested the same with my multiplus compact, the multiplus wil stay in bulk but the charging current will not go to the set 70A, with colder battery temperatures it will only allow lower current, I tested with 6°C battery temperature and the multiplus stayed at about 30A. With a warm battery the current goes up to 65A with the same SOC. The difference that the multiplus stays in bulk is that there is a communication between the battery and the multiplus via the VE.bus BMS.

0 Likes 0 ·

There's a lot of misinformation in this thread which will simply get perpetuated and cause more problems in future. I mentioned that I accepted my own answer so it was clear who accepted it. We rarely accept our own answers and if we do we make it clear.

The facts are clear. There is no current reduction built into the units due to low temperature. BMS is a simple on off setup. If, after taking into account the power limits of the charger there is a lower power being measured than expected, then it's something else causing it. I'm not denying it's happening, but fanciful theories are not going to help anyone.

Now if we want to go further we need to dig deeper and identify the underlying cause. I'm not going to speculate, but can assure you it is NOT a design intention in the Victron equipment.

I spent a lot of time researching last night.

This paper was exploring a specific cell for satellite use. It describes and measures an increase in charging times due to temperature drop causing an internal resistance increase in the cell. There's not enough information to really compare numerically, but looks as if it is in the same ball park.

https://upcommons.upc.edu/bitstream/handle/2099.1/26410/David_Balaguer.pdf

There's also a reference in the battery university pages to the same increase.

https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-410-charging-at-high-and-low-temperatures

But most of the web information is either discharge related or hidden behind paywalls. And particularly relates to sub zero performance, which is not applicable due to BMS design.

Victron chargers work on voltage. Within their power range output is affected by input power, cabling resistance, and the battery itself. I've seen temperature related problems (insulation breaking down at high temps). They also have overload protection which reduces output when overheating is detected. It's highly unlikely that the overload protection would reduce output due to low temps.

For me this is an open question. But I would add that many others use these units at low temps. This winter mine performed at full power at about -7C, admittedly charging lead acid. @Stefanie has similar experiences to me charging lithium.

0 Likes 0 ·
takamine avatar image
takamine answered ·

@T3Z-GB ... I'm glad you took the test and got results. That confirms that it is indeed the case and it probably has to do with the chemistry of the cells. It's just what I've experienced and I just wanted to tell you that, no more, no less.

1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks mate, appreciated!

1 Like 1 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

I'm doing some research. I stand by my comments about the charger, power/voltage and current calcs.

2 |3000

takamine avatar image
takamine answered ·

Sorry, but I have to get something off my chest. Things get mixed up here. Specifically, I wrote that a certain Lithium battery in a certain soc, in combination with a certain charger, gives different charging voltages and charging currents during the Constant Current mode (bulk), depending on whether the battery temperature is below or above 20°C. The only thing I was wrong is that I THOUGHT that the battery controlled that electronically. I didn't claim it was actual ! Normally when charging a half-full (50% soc) Lithium battery, a Lithium-set charger starts in Constant Current mode with a charging voltage starts around 13.60V, and rises to the Constant Voltage mode which starts at 14.20V. Only when the 14.20V has reached the current should begin to fall, not earlier. This charging pattern don't work with a half-full Lithium battery below 20°C and especially with large currents ...

Please note that I use a translator and not everything is translated correctly !

2 |3000

t3z-gb avatar image
t3z-gb answered ·

I’m curious to know if temperature does not effect the power output, can anyone explain why if states in the manual that at 25°C the cont. output is 430w and at 40°C the cont. output is 360w?

2 comments
2 |3000

tom-dv avatar image tom-dv commented ·

t3z-gb, these data are about the core temperature of the orions themself. I have one of these behind each orion. https://www.bequiet.com/en/casefans/718.

I will try to explain some things further below.

0 Likes 0 ·
Because it's overheating protection only.
0 Likes 0 ·
takamine avatar image
takamine answered ·

@T3Z-GB ... I have a fan for cooling the Orions ...

2 |3000

t3z-gb avatar image
t3z-gb answered ·

Thanks you @Tom dv for the explanation, everyone here @Takamine @Stefanie @Mark @kevgermany have gone to great effort in trying to help solve this “problem” today I re routed the factory solar to the lithium and the additional 100w made a significant difference along with the battery being 23°C I managed to charge it to 70% from a 90 mile journey and being in the sunshine all day.

I have ordered an additional Orion, it arrives tomorrow, the cables and mounting location is all ready for a very quick 10 min installation tomorrow, however tomorrow night I have a 5 hour trip, so should be interesting to see how the two behave together without additional cooling.

I expect I will have 100% at the end of he journey. I’ll have to connect a second wire from the SmallBMS charge cut, to the second Orion. Hopefully that works in the event of overcharge.

I will update and let you all know how it went.

Thank you all again for all the help.

1 comment
2 |3000

Not sure how you're expecting charge cut to work, but doesn't sound right. A new thread is needed.
0 Likes 0 ·