question

gert-kruger avatar image
gert-kruger asked

DC feed for Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Charger

I want to put Lithium batteries in our camping trailer. I have a Victron 100/20 Smart Solar charger installed that works with solar panels.

It currently has deep cycle lead batteries that are charged via a 20A Hercules charger that gives a battery float charger float Voltage of 13.7 V (but not suitable for Lithium battery charging).

Question: Can I use this 13.7 V as feed for the existing Victron Smart solar charger, to charge the new lithium batteries in the caravan?

Or can I use a separate Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Charger (https://www.victronenergy.com/dc-dc-converters/orion-tr-smart)?

This Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Charger will at least charge the Lithium batteries from car DC feed, while driving.

You kind advice will be much appreciated!

Gert Kruger

battery chargingorion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Sounds as if the Hercules isn't configurable, needs a new home. Is it an AC input for when you're parked? If you want AC charging as well, there's a range of chargers that are compatible, such as the Victron IP22.

Orion tr smart is the right way for on the road charging. Don't connect the Hercules to it. Make sure you have adequate cabling with decent connections from the car. It's output is compatible with the MPPT as long as settings match.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gert-kruger avatar image gert-kruger commented ·

SO, your solution is to have 3 separate Victon chargers for the camping trailer:

1 for solar charging (Victron 100/20 Smart Solar)

1 for charging while you drive (Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC)

1 for charging from 220V when you are camping in a civilized place (Victron IP22).

I was hoping one could use a say 19V DC-DC converter that feeds the Smart Solar charger either when you are driving (from the car alternator), or when you are camping with 220V, the 13.7 V DC feed from the existing Herules system I have.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ gert-kruger commented ·
Sorry to disappoint.

Depending on how you install the 220V charger, you may want to consider a higher IP rating.

0 Likes 0 ·
Sarah avatar image
Sarah answered ·

Yes, three chargers for three different scenarios. If you want AC in the van you can swap the IP22 out for an inverter/charger. Here is a link to an in-depth discussion on the topic https://community.victronenergy.com/articles/15035/victron-vw-van-electrics-install-schematic-drawing.html

2 |3000