question

pjcomeau avatar image
pjcomeau asked

Can I chain an old shunt to the smartshunt

I and on my boat a BlueSea electrical panel with a digital volt and amperage meter using a shunt. I would like to keep this in place and was wondering if the following is possible:

Connect Battery to battery side of old shunt, connect load side of old shunt to battery side of the smartshunt and loads on the load side. I figure it will read results, but not sure what the impacts might be, is the smartshunt showing everything (except possible draw from old shunt)? Does old shunt show the correct draw witch includes the draw from the smartshunt?

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
hjohnson avatar image
hjohnson answered ·

Assuming your Bluesea shunt is a 500A/50mv shunt (same as the smartshunt), or is configuable for that, you can use the smartshunt for both. You’ll just have to connect the Bluesea shunt leeds to the big bolts on the smartshunt.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pjcomeau avatar image pjcomeau commented ·
Yes both are 500A and I think 50mv. I was wondering if the leads could just go on posts was not sure if reason why it had the additional small screws on top for leads .
0 Likes 0 ·
Nev avatar image
Nev answered ·

Yes you can.

In our motorhome I added a 500A Victron SmartShunt in series with the existing 400A Votronic and 500A Junctek battery monitor shunts.

All 3 monitors agreed to within about 1% volts/amps and 1 or 2% battery SOC.

I have since removed the Votronic. 3 was a crowd.

The Victron and Junctek have coexisted for the last 2 years or so with no issues at all.

The 4 cell 300Ah LiFePO4 has survived 8 years of full-time travel.

2 |3000