question

glasses avatar image
glasses asked

VRM app suddenly lost ability to switch inverter on and off

Up until a day or two ago, I was able to use the VRM App on my Android mobile to switch my Multiplus inverter between Off / Charger Only / Inverter Only / On states remotely.

Now when I view the installation in the app and click the "switch" icon to the right of the displayed local time, the "Controls" screen opens but there is nothing on it except the word "Controls" and the "close" icon. There used to be "buttons" here to do the switching.

I don't have any idea why this has happened. The system continues to work superbly and the data is being transferred without issues. It is only the controls that don't work or appear, the app doesn't seem to have any other issues.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, to no avail.

Can anyone help or advise?

VRMmultiplus ve.bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@glasses

That feature was removed recently. It carried some risks for certain users.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

glasses avatar image glasses commented ·

Thanks @Alexandra for the info. So, have a couple of things to feed back to Victron:

1: if you remove functionality from an app, you need to inform users *in the app* when they open it post-update, otherwise we will think something is wrong, and spend time searching for a solution.

2: features should either be removed completely, or not all. In this case I can still open the Controls screen using its icon, since the controls are disabled, this should no longer be possible.

3. In general it is preferable to treat end-users as competent, rational, and responsible. Rather than disabling functionality, add clear warnings of potential risks, and consider using PIN or password to ensure end-user intentionality. In that way, risks to a minority of users do not frustrate the operations of the majority.

1 Like 1 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ glasses commented ·

@glasses

I hear you on some of the points. There are obviously other reasons for the removal.

Since it is under development there are going to be alot of changes. Possible some removed them re added as time goes on. So any constructive feedback is appreciated.

For other systems the control panel works, like ess functions for depth of discharge and battery life. Relays on a Cerbo. It is likely your system does not have the components in it that uses the other features in the panel.

0 Likes 0 ·
jj-o-jj avatar image jj-o-jj glasses commented ·
THIS exactly!
0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hey @glasses and others, yes absolutely we could have handled this better; I agree with most of your points.

Though there really are many systems where an "off switch" should not be that easily accessible as it was. And ofcourse we can (and probably will) make it back in a way that its there, but just slightly less prone to switch a system off, like for example a 150kVA system thats driving a big farm with 100s of people working there.

My apologies for now, its a lesson learned!

3 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

It was far too easy to accidentally click something, and with no "are you really sure?" confirmation. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
harold avatar image harold nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
And / or organize your VRM access control!

It should be easy for the authorized users.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ harold commented ·
But also protected so they don't do it accidentally
0 Likes 0 ·
janezp avatar image
janezp answered ·

Hi there, until developers solve their problems, would you kindly share bypass steps neccessary to recover PV inverter. My EasySolar II. has lost PV Inverter on VRM, Hub is off, or better on Absorption or Float, VictronConnect on Mac is of no help, etc. I shut down the installation, reconnected fuses on both PV panels and battery bank, to no avail. I understand it was my own responsibility to check out new functions when they appear, but yet, I need advice. Cheers

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

Hi @JanezP

You don't say what you did to 'lose' it, but given you've posted here, maybe via the removed feature?

Try via RemoteConsole.. 1649329328663.png

Or the MarineMFD app (type 'venus.local/app/' in a browser)..

1649329520605.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1649329328663.png (46.1 KiB)
1649329520605.png (252.2 KiB)
janezp avatar image
janezp answered ·

JohnC, many thanks for your response. I'm working on it. My technician is far away and I'm a novice, so to say. I used to remotely access my house for occasional updates, and than I incidentally switched off (via the removed feature) my PV inverter alias Solar charger, which than disappeared. Unfortunately, when EasySolar went down, so did internet connection. Few days ago I returned home, connected via MK3, but obviously I lack the necessary knowledge, hence havoc. By the way, I keep my Switch always ON, and still is. I'll keep you posted. Regards.

2 |3000

jbundala avatar image
jbundala answered ·

Is this feature still disabled? I mean the remote on/off switch from vrm

3 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

@jbundala You can enable it in the settings of the system in the VRM portal.

@dunnp if you have a Digital Multi Control (DMC), which has a hard toggle switch, you cannot change it between Off, On and Charger-only in any other way than physically toggling that switch on your DMC.

Victron will not change or fix that in a software update. The only solution, if you want remote control, is to remove the DMC from the system. Warning: in case you also have a VE.Bus BMS, then removing the DMC won't help, see GX manual for exact limitations when having a VE.Bus BMS. Victron is coming with a newer VE.Bus BMS which fixes that limitation. But there is no release date for that yet; and its a new product: there is no software fix coming for the on/off/charger-only limitation related to todays VE.Bus BMS.

1 Like 1 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
Hey @dunnp , to close this: we fixed a bug today that made it seem like you could control your system. Now with the fix in place: if you have a DMC (or a VE.Bus BMS), VRM will also not offer the option to control it.

Thanks for reporting that!

1 Like 1 ·
dunnp avatar image dunnp commented ·

It's back in VRM - but it doesn't work with my system. The controls are there but if i switch from Charger Only to On, it stays on Charger Only - ie it ignores the controls.

My system has a DMC connected on the VE.Bus and I suspect that's the cause - the DMC has control and anything done from VRM or Remote Console is ignored. I've struck this before and my understanding is that this is some limitation with VE.Bus. It would be nice to hear if there's a work-around, or if Victron can fix it.

1655859537716.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1655859537716.png (33.1 KiB)

Related Resources