question

morganb avatar image
morganb asked

VE.BUS BMS Vs Lynx Smart BMS

Hi Guys

Have a couple of questions here between the products, i am very used the the VE.Bus bms but looking to shift over to the Lynx BMS for future clients due to Simplicity

Most of our systems are marine so have
- DC-Loads
- Victron Lithium
- Victron Multi
- Victron Solar
- Cerbo GX
- External Belmar Regulators for Charging with Solid Switch 104

1. do you still require a battery Protect for DC loads? as the system has a contractor is this enough for Low Voltage protection

2. Do i need a charge Disconnect for Solar, as the Solar will be using the VE.direct port for Communication i would need to add a BP or a LI relay to disconnect.

3. happy to still use the Solid Switch 104 as these are easy and good protection as non Victron product,

4. if the relay was to Open due to undervoltage, what triggers the relay to Re Close, IE if there was no Shore power available and Client was to start engines un undervoltage event, will the relay see the charge voltage and close again?

Lithium BatteryBMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @MorganB,

I have also used the VE.Bus BMS for a long time and have been quite happy with it. However, I always missed a few features that were/are not possible due to the simplicity of the VE.Bus BMS.

To answer your questions:

1. Not really required. The contractor will open on low cell voltage.

2. No. You have a Cerbo GX. In connection with the Lynx Smart BMS, DVCC is automatically forced on. This then controls the Smart MPPTs and MultiPlus via VE.Direct.

3. What exactly is the question?

4. The Lynx Smart BMS registers the charging voltage and closes the contractor as soon as the voltage exceeds a certain (safe) value.

You can see a a comparison between all the Victron BMSs in the SmartLithium manual: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Lithium_Battery_Smart/Manual_Lithium_Battery_Smart-en.pdf

And to make yourself familiar with the Lynx Smart BMS I suggest to read through the manual here: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Lynx_Smart_BMS/Lynx_Smart_BMS_Manual-en.pdf

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

morganb avatar image morganb commented ·
Thanks for this. But if the alternators are the only charge source in the event of low voltage cut of the alternators will not start to charge and show a voltage until the relay is closed (meaning it will never charge ) ??
0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ morganb commented ·

No. The alternator/regulator will always see the batteries. The contractor separates the batteries from the loads in case of undervoltage. The alternator usually connects to the battery side of the contractor so that the alternator constantly sees the battery.

But it also depends on how you have your system setup in the end. You can charge your lithiums directly from your alternator (the most efficient way, provided there is a smart regulator in the system like your Balmar) or you can charge your starter battery from the alternator and hook up a DC-DC charger in between your starter battery and Lithiums to charge them.

0 Likes 0 ·