question

schreda avatar image
schreda asked

Charge starter and second battery both with solar and alternator

Hi

I‘m currently planning my setup for my camper van and I‘m using an AGM lead battery and want to use a lithium battery for the second one.

The second battery should be charged either via the Orion-Tr DCDC charger or MPPT and a solar panel, so far so good.

When the second battery is full, I would like the starter battery to also be charged by the MPPT charger.

The CTEK D250SE offers that functionality, but i would prefer to use a victron product if possible.

MPPT Controllerschargersolarorion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@schreda

There is no Victron MPPT that has a second output for a starter battery.

Usually this is done by a DC-DC charger like the Victron Orion-Tr smart. I would like to know why you want to charge the starter battery. This is not essential if you leave your van's engine running from time to time. The starting process only puts an insignificant load on the battery and only for a very short moment. This is what starter batteries are made for, even if they are not constantly charged.

However, here's an interesting thread that has covered the topic in detail before: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/84370/mppt-7515-charging-vehicle-battery-how.html

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Presumably the AGM is your starter battery.

Standard way to do this with pure Victron is to add a second Orion. For safety use the isolated models.You'll have to play around with the setups to get it to work. Probably need to put the second Orion into constant voltage and set this to float voltage for AGM at about 12.7V.

Your starter battery shouldn't need more than a trickle charge, so a low current model is all that's needed. And as it needs so little power, you don't need to worry about switching charging to it off. I did something similar, current to my starter battery is about 0.3-0.4A and it's keeping my very tired starter battery at about 12.4V.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Victron DC to DC Converters Product Range