question

Martin Coetzee avatar image
Martin Coetzee asked

Victron ESS system Unstable.

System has been installed 3 weeks for client with multiple shut downs that needed manual restart. First it gave low voltage alarm at 49 volt resulting in shut down and error 17. I lowered my shit down voltage to 46V and SOC is set at 65 % minimum.

Last 2 days in a row in the middle of the day i am getting overload alarms with system drawing just about no power and batteries being charged from PV.

2 x 5kva in parralel

2 x 150/100 regulators

24 x 350 REC panels( 3 in series, 4 groups, 2 strings)

ESS set to run in optimize without battery life .

error
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

For the best answers: please also tell what other components there are (Venus / CCGX probably, batteries?, other devices?)

0 Likes 0 ·
Martin Coetzee avatar image Martin Coetzee boekel ♦ commented ·

ccgx, 16 x 220 ah agm victron batteries, anti islanding box, energy meter.

0 Likes 0 ·
rintoul-pic.jpg (2.1 MiB)
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ Martin Coetzee commented ·

Thank you.

Can you also provide screenshots of VRM graphs? especially battery voltage / current / SOC at the time(s) it happens.

I suspect the batteries are discharged to much, shutting down one inverter before the other = error.

You specify shutdown voltage for , what voltages have you set in the ESS assistant?
I see in the photo you also have a BVM? (or is it another device?)

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

Martin, from the pic I see a few things you should do first:

1 - the batteries are not balanced, the bank on top will take most of the punishment.

2 - install both the V-sense cables and temp sensor.

I agree with Boekel, some VRM details would definitely help identify the cause.

Note of caution- the 3 x 350w panels might exceed the 150V input on your MPPT’s when the panels get really cold, which of it happens will destroy them. Check the MPPT calculator and use the panel spec to verify this

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Martin Coetzee avatar image Martin Coetzee commented ·

We added another 8 batteries and did a balanced connection with 70mm cables.

Temp sensor has been connected .

i got 2 low voltage shutdowns the last week batt voltage was over 48 and at the time it switch over to mains supply at 60 SOC.

i get a low voltage alarm and then a error 17 as the master invertor shuts down.

i am thinking my SOC is not true ?

0 Likes 0 ·
1553739543-file.jpg (127.3 KiB)
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ Martin Coetzee commented ·

You really have to provide graphs of the battery voltage / current / SOC during the events to receive any meaningful answers.
Also the inverter low voltage settings, etc.

Yes it sounds like the SOC is off.

Please answer the questions asked 10 days ago.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic