question

Martin Coetzee avatar image
Martin Coetzee asked

error 17 auto reset.

2 5kva's in parallel, is it possible to make them auto rest after a error 17 so that my client does not have to manually reset.

error
7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Martin Coetzee avatar image Martin Coetzee commented ·

VE.Bus Error: VE.Bus Error 17: One of the devices assumed master status because the original master failed

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ Martin Coetzee commented ·

"Error 17 - Original Master Missing

This error can only occur on systems with multiple devices installed per phase. For example a single phase installation with two or more devices in parallel, or a three-phase installation with six or more devices.

Error 17 will only appear on slaves. You'll see it when its phase-master is no longer communicating on the VE.Bus network.

• In some cases this error can be seen temporarily while using Remote VEConfigure to write a new configuration.

• Otherwise, the most likely cause is bad cabling/contacts on the VE.Bus: Check cabling and contacts. Make sure to also inspect the female RJ-45 sockets, instead of only the cabling: Sometimes badly mounted RJ45 cable connectors prevent the spring-contacts in the female RJ45 connectors on the Multis to properly make contact.

If nothing can be found and the failure persists a hardware error might be the cause. Contact your distributor, and also report the exact LED indication of the Master and all slaves in that phase. "

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.bus:ve.bus_error_codes

Doesn't answer your specific question though.

0 Likes 0 ·

I have checked all the cables, its a overload error that triggered error 17. i had 7000 watts combined coming in at the time from the PV but the 2 5 KVA's should be able to handle that. It was during battery charging, the loads were minimal just over 500 watts on the ac side.

0 Likes 0 ·
jacko avatar image jacko Martin Coetzee commented ·

2 x 2.5 kVa's in parralell? And is it AC coupled? If so thats more solar than should be connected to them and it will overload the fact loads were minimal would actually make the situation worse. As far as auto reset of error 17 i dont think its possible.

0 Likes 0 ·
Martin Coetzee avatar image Martin Coetzee jacko commented ·

2 x 5 kva in parralel. We replaced all the network cables today and will monitor it.

0 Likes 0 ·
jacko avatar image jacko Martin Coetzee commented ·

Sorry mis-read that, yeah that shouldnt cause a problem then. Still will be followng how you get on as having similar issues

0 Likes 0 ·
Martin Coetzee avatar image Martin Coetzee jacko commented ·

I found 2 things and one should not affect it but each time its been on i have been having errors. 3 phase compensation.

I replaced all the network cables with my own that i made up with much care and its been fine since my last post.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
David Foret (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
David Foret (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@Martin Coetzee You should read the factor 1.0 rule :https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ac_coupling:start?_ga=2.38257121.314233798.1553498915-779317231.1549898832

Error 17 might be a result of the overload situation.

Checking the RJ45s between the 2 Multis can't do any arm...

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

i have 8400 watts of panels only because the roof situation did not allow good alignment, most wattage i have seen is 7200. i can always turn down the regulators if need be.

It is 2 x 150/100 mppts.

0 Likes 0 ·
mikeb avatar image
mikeb answered ·

Hi all

Had one of the systems go in to error 17 this morning at 3.40am

The last time it did this error 17 was on the 24th March

Strange how it can last best part of 3 weeks with no issues.

Very disappointed that there has been no fix or feed back from Victron

Regards

Mike

2 |3000

Lawrence avatar image
Lawrence answered ·

We are having Error17 isses on 2 x 5kw multis as well on a site we have taken over installwd by others. Its an intentionally islanded site, only grabbing the grid on low SoC or high load. We are using assistants for this and having Error 17. I note that the original installer was using the Virtual tab and in there is a check box to default to On in the event of an error. Wondering if this will work work buy keeping the system up. The the original installer unfortunatly didnt set the customer up on VRM and as we had to change the CCGX we cant tell if the system had the Error 17 b4 we got involved. The customer never used to loose power so im wondering if that check box keep the system up.

1 comment
2 |3000

As far as i know your cannot load your ESS assistant while your virtual switch is on. I am micro managing the system remotely as i have seen a pattern. I am going to be replacing the 2 kva with one 10 Kva.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic